Hunting with an AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the "Why do you need that" argument...
I never made that argument.

You want name-calling, how about this one - you're posts in this thread have all been extremely anti-"Assault weapon" and that quite frankly, is anti-gun.
You think your AR is an assault weapon ... seriously .... HAHAHAHA

You haven't been around long enough to see me do much of anything - you've been here a year - and I'm less than impressed with the fact that you're somehow stalking me through my posts.
Just good memory - when somebody steps over civil lines even on the internet it sticks out.

No one brought up "equivalent" gun - that's a crap argument since ARs aren't at all like bolt-action guns. Why does an AR have to be equivalent to what you define as a "hunting rifle" for it to be used in an argument.
I define hunting rifle as anything that spits a bullet. And that's what you do when you compare stuff - you try to make it equal.

Again - I brought up the fact that there are other things to hunt here than deer - you don't seem to have a snappy comeback about how you read that part of my post because you choose to keep ignoring it because it invalidates your argument.
I choose to ignore it - because you can hunt squirrels with rimfire.

Please read the link I posted with actual facts specific to .223 and barrel differences.
22" to 16" loss was 8% .... what's your point again?

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Or that dont understand that AR-15 is Civilian derived M16 as Kleenex is to tissue.

I guess it doesnt get to me that bad since I, too, refer to all of them as AR15s, but technically, they arent.

What would be a good name for all of them that isnt brand specific? Stoner Style Semi Auto Rifle?

I saw somewhere a reference to calling them "Homeland Defence Rifles",I kind of like that one.
Randall

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out of 16" barrel 1000ft/lb is carried out to about 35 yards?

The last chronograph shooting session my velocity drop was 4 to 5% going off the books 24"barrel number to the 16"test barrel used. You can't put a yardage number on energy without exact bullet weight and velocity.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last chronograph shooting session my velocity drop was 4 to 5% going off the books 24"barrel number to the 16"test barrel used. You can't put a yardage number on energy without exact bullet weight and velocity.

You are right, I can't put exact yardage, but energy delivered to the projectile is pretty much capped by the volume of the cartridge and maximum pressure. Lighter bullets will travel faster, and heavier bullets slower; muzzle energy will be ball-park the same. However, heavier bullets will generally have higher BC and keep their velocity (energy) further out; faster burning powders will be less affected by barrel length as well.

It was arrogant of me to just to conclusions ... do you mind sharing the load and Chrony results.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are right, I can't put exact yardage, but energy delivered to the projectile is pretty much capped by the volume of the cartridge and maximum pressure. Lighter bullets will travel faster, and heavier bullets slower; muzzle energy will be ball-park the same. However, heavier bullets will generally have higher BC and keep their velocity (energy) further out; faster burning powders will be less affected by barrel length as well.

It was arrogant of me to just to conclusions ... do you mind sharing the load and Chrony results.
My friend moved and lost 10years worth of our custom loads.
We got the chrony a few months ago and just ran a few different loads through it,but when I get some data I could give it to you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All I know is I'm going deer hunting this afternoon with my AR in .223.

didn't get one yesterday, but did tonight. 127 lbs. .55 grain Rem PSP. Bullet is not constructed for deer, as it fragmented after the ititial entry, took out the top half of the heart.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0042.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom