I just had this weird feeling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a funny thread; I find the CZ (at least the 75 series) has a much greater trigger reach than a G19 or 26 with their big "handles" ... but still, I like CZ's a lot. And yes, 1911's sure do have a long, storied history in combat. And a proven one at that. They have been around a long damn time. The squabbling and criticism among members in this discussion is, as all too often seems to be the case, approaching the ridiculous level on the "silly meter" - how many times have we read the same old crap about "this" is better than "that"? And when in a discussion with GMT; remember, he knows it all. If you have a different opinion, well, it's wrong. Just ask; he will tell you so. Even though I carried a 1911 for many years, and have had one on my side in armed conflict, I now choose to carry a Glock. I like 1911 pistols fine and may even get another one soon, and I may even occasionally carry it. But for my daily needs right now, a Glock pistol of one sort or another suits me fine. The USMC has now brought the 1911 back to the fold and has also recently given the nod to the Glock 19. That's good enough for me. And you know something? If you haven't had shots fired at you in anger, maybe you oughta keep your "combat " opinions to yourself and get back to video games and your stack of gun magazines.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you throw out the fact that the 1911 was in service for longer than glock, but who cares? What about TODAY, NOW? You completely overlook the most obvious point that the 1911's and hi powers of yesteryear have been outperformed by modern and better guns for the job.

you know if you look back, the sword has a significantly longer service history than the firearm...and im using this to support the argument that swords are better combat weapons than guns :screwy: unbelievable.

You're just not getting it and I'm not sure why. Somehow magically, the 1911 is only good for the range in your world when it's been used for years in combat. As if defending yourself from another human being has significantly changed. 1911s are rampant in competition, which shows their reliability and accuracy have the potential to be sufficient in any SD situation as shots can be placed on target in very quick succession. You see, the reality is that none of us here are in combat. Therefore, for any practical purpose of self defense in the reality that we live in, 1911s will work very well.

However, if you believe yourself to be in "combat" day in and day out and think the latetst and greatest will only suffice, then glock isn't your answer. There are several platforms that have surpassed Glock in several ways. In essence, it's obsolete as a polymer framed pistol if that's your measure.

To your last comment, actually...... a good knife is imperative in several situations in daily life, self defense and of course, "combat." Point is that every tool has it's purpose, obsolete in your opinion or not, and some can serve you very well.

Finally, I'm not so sure that many steel framed guns out perform a hi-power, but that's just me.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a funny thread; I find the CZ (at least the 75 series) has a much greater trigger reach than a G19 or 26 with their big "handles" ... but still, I like CZ's a lot. And yes, 1911's sure do have a long, storied history in combat. And a proven one at that. They have been around a long damn time. The squabbling and criticism among members in this discussion is, as all too often seems to be the case, approaching the ridiculous level on the "silly meter" - how many times have we read the same old crap about "this" is better than "that"? And when in a discussion with GMT; remember, he knows it all. If you have a different opinion, well, it's wrong. Just ask; he will tell you so. Even though I carried a 1911 for many years, and have had one on my side in armed conflict, I now choose to carry a Glock. I like 1911 pistols fine and may even get another one soon, and I may even occasionally carry it. But for my daily needs right now, a Glock pistol of one sort or another suits me fine. The USMC has now brought the 1911 back to the fold and has also recently given the nod to the Glock 19. That's good enough for me. And you know something? If you haven't had shots fired at you in anger, maybe you oughta keep your "combat " opinions to yourself and get back to video games and your stack of gun magazines.

I'm always amazed how just about any post from me gets under your skin. I just said the exact same thing you did in your first few sentences and that basically we are not in combat, yet I am somehow different? The circle jerk mentality on glocks definitely lends for some interesting internet lore, and it's just to much fun calling BS on it.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good grief, the 1911 is an awesome pistol. If it wasn’t people wouldn’t still be buying them 100 years later. Credit acknowledged and given as deserved. BUT… As much as I love my 1911, with a Glock I don’t worry that the grip screws or anything else getting rusted after carrying it only two hours in the Oklahoma heat. My sweat is like nitric acid to metal. With a Glock what I like most is that it simply doesn’t come with the drama needed to keep it healthy. I also like the fact that if someone breaks into my car and steals it I’m out $500 not $1,200 like my Kimber.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm always amazed how just about any post from me gets under your skin. I just said the exact same thing you did in your first few sentences and that basically we are not in combat, yet I am somehow different? The circle jerk mentality on glocks definitely lends for some interesting internet lore, and it's just to much fun calling BS on it.

Yeah, I'm sorry. Maybe if you weren't such a know-it-all?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sorry. Maybe if you weren't such a know-it-all?

butthurt.jpg

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a G17 2 months ago and I really want to love it but I cant be consistently accurate with it to save my life and its frustrating to no end. I've put new sights on it and dryfired it alot but to no avail thus far. Im waiting for the day it "clicks" and I shoot better with it but until then Ill use my Beretta for future run n guns.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So let's go back to what you said about Glock grips being too big and that you're a CZ guy now mostly - don't you think the trigger reach on the CZ 75 series guns is greater than on say, a G19 or 26? I love the way CZs handle and shoot, but it's that darn longass reach that gets me...(by the way, I can't decide now if I like that OD P-01 or the stainless 75B better. Which of the two is the better shooter?

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a G17 2 months ago and I really want to love it but I cant be consistently accurate with it to save my life and its frustrating to no end. I've put new sights on it and dryfired it alot but to no avail thus far. Im waiting for the day it "clicks" and I shoot better with it but until then Ill use my Beretta for future run n guns.

Do you think it may be the way the Glock trigger feels a little different than a DA/SA gun like your Beretta?

Latest posts

Top Bottom