I'm getting old... But I refuse to act like it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The closest I ever came to jumping from a perfectly good airplane was in basic training at Ft Cambell KY. The 101st airborne trains there. They lifted us up on 200' towers and let us go. Thats all I needed to experience.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool! I did about 25 solo jumps back around 1990; at that school if you went solo you started static line at 3,000 ft then worked your way up without the static line.
I was jumping from 12.000 ft when I decided to quit while I was ahead.
Nothing like it. And it's really windy, right!?
Yeah, the first 10,000 feet were definitely windy. BUT, they went by so fast that I could barely tell that it was. 😂 😂

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you remember the skydiving group years ago here in Ok. that had the plane crash before they all jumped out. A friend of mine here in Ponca was the first one out of the plane. He said it ain't a good feeling to see your plane crashing as you're floating down. He said never again.
I had never heard of that. And, more importantly, neither had my wife. And I'm not going to tell her about it either.

I can only imagine how traumatic that must have been for your friend.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had never heard of that. And, more importantly, neither had my wife. And I'm not going to tell her about it either.

I can only imagine how traumatic that must have been for your friend.
I made sic civilian jumps at Elsinore and Perris Field in CA in 1967 before deploying to RVN. After a short class and practicing falls, we jumped, repacked our own main chutes, jumped again and again repacked our own chutes (this time on the ground which collected dirt and leaves that blasted out of the chute when it opened). I was 20 years old then and single.

During this short time when I was jumping, I experienced a partial malfunction on the first jump when the left control cord tangled out of reach pulling one of the steering panels on a modified T10 Parachute open and causing the chute to spin. I had to pull the other control to its maximum to stop the spin. With both panels open to the maximum, the rate of decent was increased and I burned in pretty hard. The instructors said my parachute landing fall was perfect and I had no injuries. This chute had been packed by a professional Rigger, not me. About two weeks before, an expert jumper had a premature release from his chute during a water jump. He fell almost 200 feet winch resulted in both femurs being driven out of his hip sockets. The blood vessels on his feet looked like raised red webbing. Another expert jumper named Cathy Stenger (that had about 800 jumps experience) and did some part-time professional exhibition jumping) collided with another jumper while attempting to hook-up during a high altitude jump ( over 12,000 feet). . She was knocked unconscious and apparently didn’t have an automatic low altitude safety ripcord release system, and was killed. I was spending the night up there when it happened. On my last jump, the young fellow out of the plane before me panicked and pulled up his legs as he touched the ground. We circled the field for almost 45 minutes until the EMS Responders got him off the Drop Zone. He had serious vertebral compression fractures and couldn’t move or feel his legs. Years later, my friend ‘Rocky’ Eales a former USMC Officer and OHP Trooper was making a HALO (High Altitude,Low Opening) jump with a military HALO Chute System. His main chute deployed but didn’t open correctly (streamer). He disconnected it and pulled the ripcord on his reserve. This one worked. Sky Diving is serious business and the risks should be well considered before adopting it as a recreational alternative. Note- many Life Insurance Policies will not cover accidental death if it should happen and one’s family can be left in financial ruin. It is an exciting sport, though…

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Note- many Life Insurance Policies will not cover accidental death"

Most if not all Life Policies sold in OK must pay after 2 years. Death is 'incontestable' after a 2 year period.
Just clarifying.

Russ661

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
First jump was April 1, 1974.
Funny but I am uncomfortable on ladders.
For me there was no sensation of falling.
For a real thrill try jumping at night, no moon, no light anywhere, from barely 1000 feet while carrying 80 pounds of gear.

Happy Birthday, young man!

Latest posts

Top Bottom