Internet Service Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw an ad today for HughesNet Gen 5. Maybe satellite internet has improved but previous reviews and high cost kept me away. Currently use hot spot off my Verizon phone. Connection is good most of the time but also pricey for limited data. Only other option I know of is Atlink wireless but I'm hesitant to try it due to lots of negative reviews also. I'd love to get reliable high speed internet and disconnect Directv.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw an ad today for HughesNet Gen 5. Maybe satellite internet has improved but previous reviews and high cost kept me away. Currently use hot spot off my Verizon phone. Connection is good most of the time but also pricey for limited data. Only other option I know of is Atlink wireless but I'm hesitant to try it due to lots of negative reviews also. I'd love to get reliable high speed internet and disconnect Directv.
They can improve bandwidth (Mb/sec), they can improve reliability, but they will never, ever be able to improve latency (ping time/time between request and receiving the first bit of the reply). Simple physics: your request has to go up to the satellite, then back down to earth to hit the "real" network that the terrestrial folks are already using; then, the reply--after going through the terrestrial network--also has to make a round-trip through the bird. Geostationary orbit is at a bit over 22k miles above the surface, so that's an 88k mile round trip. Light moves at 186k miles/second, so you're adding almost half a second in travel time (plus signal processing time on the bird), over and above the ordinary terrestrial network. That may not bother you when you start a movie on Netflix, but it's noticeable when browsing the web, annoying/unnatural for phone calls/VOIP, and intolerable for real-time gaming.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can improve bandwidth (Mb/sec), they can improve reliability, but they will never, ever be able to improve latency (ping time/time between request and receiving the first bit of the reply). Simple physics: your request has to go up to the satellite, then back down to earth to hit the "real" network that the terrestrial folks are already using; then, the reply--after going through the terrestrial network--also has to make a round-trip through the bird. Geostationary orbit is at a bit over 22k miles above the surface, so that's an 88k mile round trip. Light moves at 186k miles/second, so you're adding almost half a second in travel time (plus signal processing time on the bird), over and above the ordinary terrestrial network. That may not bother you when you start a movie on Netflix, but it's noticeable when browsing the web, annoying/unnatural for phone calls/VOIP, and intolerable for real-time gaming.
I was considering this and also exede until I found out about the high ping times and the terrible latency. So I'm stuck with the Verizon home fusion. So far it is very fast and reliable. Only problem is my 30 gb of data is almost gone courtesy of my son doing something on his Xbox to use a ton of data. Either that or my dish receiver was downloading crap without me knowing it. I know that normal web browsing wouldn't use near that much. I would hook my smart tv up but am now worried about it using data for something. I don't know if it would or not though. Verizon needs to up their data. At least give 100 gb. I could live with that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was considering this and also exede until I found out about the high ping times and the terrible latency. So I'm stuck with the Verizon home fusion. So far it is very fast and reliable. Only problem is my 30 gb of data is almost gone courtesy of my son doing something on his Xbox to use a ton of data. Either that or my dish receiver was downloading crap without me knowing it. I know that normal web browsing wouldn't use near that much. I would hook my smart tv up but am now worried about it using data for something. I don't know if it would or not though. Verizon needs to up their data. At least give 100 gb. I could live with that.
I'm limited to 10GB on Exeed Sat system. I was constantly running out of data until I found my smart tv was upgrading on its own using the wifi modum. They don't cut your service off completely, but put you in slow down mode. Takes about 2 minutes to down load a picture in slow down mode. I did turn off the update function on the TV and I can stretch the 10gb to make the month.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Thorgrim, it seems like most ISPs' tiers start at $40-45. I don't think you are getting ripped off, my wife and I pay $70/month for Cox's Preferred tier which works pretty well for just the two of us streaming 1080p Youtube videos or just web browsin'.
They keep bumping me up in tiers, I'm paying $79 a month on the Premier Tier now for 1024Gigs and we don't use near that much but I guess they felt we needed it. I was on the 300G plan in the beginning but after a couple of summers of 24hour live streams on Big Brother they moved us to the 700G plan when we kept going over the 300 about 4 months of the year mostly in the summer when more people and more devices are staying in the house. We were averaging about 10Gs a day in the summer more or less. The kids download a ton of stuff. When I'm home I stream stuff all day and night in my media room and in a small recording studio we send a lot of sound files, the wife is either streaming or on cable on her TV while also on a notebook via wifi, the kid when home from work has his face in online gaming while also on a phone messaging and on a laptop also likely. Speeds are usually around 53 Mbps on downloads, 12-14 uploads, and latency is about 11ms.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For all yall complaining about how how high your broadband is, stop. Be thankful that you can even get it where you live. Could be like us and not be able to get anything with enough data. Hopefully one day we can all have access to good broadband with great data caps. And I ain't talking about satellite or crap like atlink.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For all yall complaining about how how high your broadband is, stop. Be thankful that you can even get it where you live. Could be like us and not be able to get anything with enough data. Hopefully one day we can all have access to good broadband with great data caps. And I ain't talking about satellite or crap like atlink.
I aint complaining at all for what I'm getting for my money, I don't mind paying for good service. Its when you get crappy service like I get back in CA that I complain. My Cox service here in N E OK I have nothing to complain about at all, we have excellent service for the money.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I aint complaining at all for what I'm getting for my money, I don't mind paying for good service. Its when you get crappy service like I get back in CA that I complain. My Cox service here in N E OK I have nothing to complain about at all, we have excellent service for the money.
. I have heard that cox is supposed to come to Shawnee. But even if they do I don't think they will come out to my area. But maybe they will. It's a great place to serve. I think when I was a kid we had cox here and then for some reason they left and we got one crappy business after the other. Vyve has been the best so far and they ain't great. But I was very pleased with their internet. Just their customer service is terrible.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Att Uverse has been very reliable for us after some teething issues.

We have bundled service, and I'm not sure what we are paying for internet. We have 18mbps download speed, and measure exactly that when I test it.

I have Cox at work because I need a faster upload speed for my security cameras.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and a friend who lives in Catoosa were on the phone last night chatting during the storm passing thru and I had to relay her storm info because her Direct service was out. Ours hardly ever goes out unless the electricity does also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom