LEO and open carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
...I wonder if the evidence supports your theories???

Have these things proven true in areas where open carry is legal??

Do we have specific examples where the bad guys shoot the guy carrying openly at the beginning of their crime??

Do we have specific examples of the bad guy snatching an openly carried weapon from aperson who is NOT a LEO??

Or, do we just assume that this is what will happen??

That's excatly what I was thinking as I read your comments.

I will most likely not open carry, but I believe even while concealed carrying we need open carry protection from accidental display of our weapons.

Also, I believe it is our right to open carry, and I will take that a step farther.

I would like to see everyone of legal age open carry, with required proper training, as a crime deterrant.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a LEO...and I support citizen rights to openly carry a firearm if they so choose. However I will not openly carry for many, many, many reasons...and that is all I will say about that.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Supporting the second amendment but being against citizens choosing how hey carry?? What does shall not be infringed mean to you?

If you don't like open carry don't do it. Don't tell me how I can keep and/or bear my firearms. Not supporting open carry is basically the opposite of supporting the second amendment. It doesn't matter how many words you put in the why part following such a ridiculous set of contradictory statements.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 'em down said:
Let me start by saying, yes I am a LEO and I support the 2nd Amendment 110%.

Do I support open carry? No. Let me tell you why.

It has absolutely nothing to do about the wild, wild west. It has to do with basically two things. Public safety and the element of surprise.

There are many gun owners who read all the gun rags and hang out at gun shops and fondle every gun out there before they buy one. Which is good. Research is vital.

However. Simply owning a gun doesn't mean you know how to use it properly. Just like owning a guitar does NOT make you a musician.

A lot of people don't use good judgement when picking out the proper gear for their CC package. They may buy the very best pistol on the market, but they will skimp on a proper holster, belt and mag pouch.

You DO carry a spare mag...don't you? :lookaroun

Anyway...back to my point(s).

Open carry invites more crime. When a properly licensed, CCW holder, with his gun on his hip is standing in line at the local grocery store, Wal-Mart, wherever, he/she poses a potential threat to those around them simply because they aren't focused on their weapon but rather everything having to do with their transaction at the register. This gives a bad guy a perfect opportunity to disarm the citizen and perform illegal activities.

And don't think I'm just picking on the citizens out there. Hell, I've seen other cops that forget all about their pistola on their hip and practically hand it to a bad guy. I laugh at dispatchers that give us a call of a domestic in progress followed by a "no weapons involved" statement. The minute I arrive there WILL be a weapon involved - mine! There is a gun at every call I go to - mine!

The next point I want to share is the element of surprise.

The bad guys out there have plenty of information about you. Thanks to Google and the internet, if a bad guy wants to study you and learn about you, he'll know you better than you know yourself. And while you're standing in line at the grocery store, Wal-Mart, wherever, do you really want him to know that you are armed? Guess who his first target is gonna be?

If you keep your iron hidden then you have a shred of hope against an attack. The element of surprise. If you say to him, "here's my gun" he's gonna do everything in his power to take it away from you, giving him complete control of the situation. Then, you are no longer a citizen, but a statistic.

As a cop, I hate going to Wal-Mart or someplace while I am in uniform because I'm as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Because even though I've been thru more firearms training than the average Joe, I too am not immune from an attempted gun grab and I have the same limited view as everybody else.

Bad guys thrive on bad things. That's who/what they are. Nobody can check their six constantly. When a bad guy sees your gun, he knows that he has to take you out first so he can have the upper hand. He can (and will) attack you and disarm you because he has already set his sights on you without your knowledge of him doing so.

Now I can ramble on and on and I know I'm gonna catch hell for what I've just said, but...that's just my take on open carry.

And for the record...you see all these off duty cops with their gun on their hip and a shild clipped next to it? That's just as bad IMO as the citizen carrying openly. When I'm off duty, you won't see ANYTHING on or about my person that says "cop."

But yeah, if'n I'm vertical, I'm armed.

:thanku:

Bad stuff can happen anywhere, you should rob people of they're right "for their safety".

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bad stuff can happen anywhere, you should rob people of they're right "for their safety".

How is saying "keep 'em concealed" robbing people of their safety?

You can protect yourself just as well with a concealed weapon as you can with one out in the open. :ugh2:

When I'm off duty, carrying concealed, I don't feel any more outgunned than I do in full uniform with my Glock for the whole world to see.

If anything, I feel better when my iron is concealed because it takes all the eyes off of me. When I'm off duty, in the public's eye, I'm just another guy. When I'm in uniform with an iron in plain view, I'm a target.

This is why most cops decide not to discuss open carry. Most guys are so damned fanatical about it. They adhere to the "by God - because I can" and the good ol' "from my cold dead hands" theory. :madbox:

NOBODY is taking your gun away. They are just saying keep it hidden...for your own damned safety.

Jeez! :rolleyes2

O

oklacowboy

Supporting the second amendment but being against citizens choosing how hey carry?? What does shall not be infringed mean to you?

If you don't like open carry don't do it. Don't tell me how I can keep and/or bear my firearms. Not supporting open carry is basically the opposite of supporting the second amendment. It doesn't matter how many words you put in the why part following such a ridiculous set of contradictory statements.
Very very well said.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Its a simple matter of only wanting to use the portions of the Constitution one agrees with. While I agree with GED that there are many downsides with open carry I am willing to accept them. To do otherwise is to make a mockery of the Constitution.
If we really feel that a portion of the Constitution we should amend it using the provisions put in place to do it. The way we do it know makes a joke of the whole document.

Michael

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Im in a area that allows CC... I assume everyone is CC ing.
Looking to make CC guns is much more distracting than "seeing" a gun in public. I'd think that looking of cues of potential behavior is still more importants than actual view of a gun. I consider all folks armed till I can prove other wise (if need be)

My old home state used to allow handguns in plain view in cars...I did not like it when they allowed the move to consoles and glove boxes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom