Let's Talk Appliances

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wif wanted the front loaders. Found a set, on sale and bought them.
4 years and washer started throwing codes. She wanted to get new ones.
Not at those cost new, plus replacements. I was able to get parts and repair. At 10 years old, Wif starts talking remodel and replacing, again.
We bought washer, dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer and range.
Talking with salesperson, they recommended staying away from LG and Samsung. Stating most of their repair calls were for LG and then GE. Samsung received less calls, but parts were nearly impossible.

The 6 we purchased were either Frigidaire, Maytag or Whirlpool. Not entry level models. 5 years and no problems with any of them.

Bosch and Kitchen Aid are great products, but you pay a premium for name. IMO.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My speed queen washer has rust holes in the cabinet thst you can put three finger through and the transmission clanks and clunks. The dryer has been good except the drum rollers give trouble and require remove and replace twice...

I don't doubt your experience, but how old where your speed queens to get to this condition?
If it's a 20-yr old hand-me-down, then that'd be a much different story then a 5-yr old unit.
Please clarify.

Last edited:

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any how about a different approach....

How about buying an overhauled older unit from a used appliance store?

New is nice, but not if it's unreliable and expensive. (Unreliable, as in it'll likely fail right after warranty) Which most appliances are now days...

I would seriously consider an **overhauled** whirlpool washer/dryer that's already 20-yrs old. And one that has **knobs** for controls - not some electric digital panel.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky. Our 2007 Whirlpool Duet washer and electric dryer are still working. The control board on the washer went out several years ago. Found a replacement front panel/control board on Ebay for $71. 10 minute fix.
The heating element on the dryer went out this winter. $30 part with overnight delivery. Replacement required practically disassembling the whole dryer and was a big pain.
These things can be kept going for a long time. The parts for the older ones seem to have good availability, especially since a lot of the domestic brands seem to be built from the same parts.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20 years ago I laughed at buying an extended warranty, now not so. But I was talking to one of my bosses about buying appliances the other day, bought me a dehumidifier and looking for a nice blender. It seems that everything either has a 5 star review or 1 star. He had to buy a new washer and said almost all of them had 3 star reviews. It is kind of funny/sad on most items anymore they are good years of manufacturing and bad years. Seems like all the reviews for nice blenders have sucked in the past 2 years.

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speed Queen washer here and its way better than those junk Samsung high efficiency washers. Ours rusted out so bad we couldn't hardly use it.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another satisfied Speed Queen household. Going on 4 years. They are expensive but if you add extended warranty to a Samsung or LG they will be close to the same price. SQ is American made and 7 year warranty.

However, my 4 year old Whirlpool oven won't shut off. Control panel may be the problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom