Looking for a truck, where to search?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda in the same boat except I'm looking for a regular cab long bed 4x4 for 3-4k. I posted an add in the wanted section of this forum but don't think many look at the wanted section on a regular bases. Been looking on Craigslist, plenty of extended and quad cabs, actually what look like a few pretty nice trucks for the money but I want a long bed that doesn't take 4 acres to make a U turn.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem is finding a truck like the one I lost. It was a 98 Chevy with only 76k miles. I serviced it regularly and IT WAS PAID FOR! I expected it to last a long time since it was a secondary vehicle for the family.

I would like to find something in the $7k to $9k range. I would like to have a single cab with a short bed so my son can drive and park it easier. I would possible like a 4X4 if a deal was to be had. Also, not sure which truck has a decent gas mileage. Looking at Fords, Chevy's, Dodge and maybe a Tacoma. The main thing I would like to find is someone who took care of their vehicle and serviced it regularly, with the records. Thinking probably 2000 model or newer and maybe less than 120k miles. I am not looking for anything flashy, just a decent, reliable vehicle to use to hunt, haul crap and get around.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you looking for something like a Ford Ranger sized truck or more like an F150, 250, 350?

Talking about a truck and good gas mileage in the same sentence really narrows it down. My wife and I have a Chevy Colorado that she primarily drives and we love it.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More the full size with short bed. F150 or C1500. Do like the look of some of the Colorado's, probably 4X4 or lift kit.
And you will notice, I said decent gas mileage, not good mileage. Some people get 8 to 12 mpg which I couldn't handle. My old truck got around 15 to 17 mph.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old truck got around 15 to 17 mph.

It'd take a damn long time to get anywhere hummin' along at 17 mph :)

I think I found your truck, ready?

2004 Ford F-150
$4,250 (Could probably get it for $4,000 even)
In decent shape, not great, but for your needs I think its perfect
4.6 V8, Auto Trans
Short cab, full-size bed (I think)
White
Completely factory looking
Single Owner
180k miles, a little higher than you wanted I know but the price is right.
Slight hum in the rear dif, probably just needs bearings, call it $300.

So if you get it for $4,000 even, throw $300 and you've got it for $4,300. mechanically sound says the guy selling it, he's actually running a small car lot in the front lawn of his house. Saw it when I drove by and thought, damn this would be perfect for the guy on OSA. This morning on my way to work he pulled out in front of me and pulled it into the gas station up the road to fill it up so I stopped and talked to him about it fer ya.

The driver seat has a small tear in it that was stitched back up, the stitching looks serious strong as get out, but it is a tear. The truck driver side door has a small ding, some scratches on the tailgate and hood. Like I said, it's not perfect but for the price I think it suits your needs great. I don't know if there are any pics of it any place. I will PM you the guys number if you are interested so no one can snatch it out from under ya.

THIS IS NOT THE EXACT TRUCK BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THIS
images.jaxsportscars.com_pictures_42060251.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom