Looking to recommend an AR to a friend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I used an M16 for 10 years in the Army and know the platform pretty well. Having said that, I have no idea where to look for a good civilian AR in terms of company. Bud's Gun Shop is selling a Bushmaster CAR15 with a 16" barrel for 700 bucks, but I've heard Bushmasters aren't that reliable. Any advice on which brands to look for / avoid? Thanks!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go to Cold Hand Arms and get one professionally built to your needs. For reliability "brand name" is not as important as the experience in properly fitting parts together.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smith and Wesons MP15s are pretty good weapons out the box

Bushmastrer ARs are not bad. The trigger could use some work but most all stock ones can. The Lawton PD uses that brand so I would expect them to be somewhat reliable.

Like Moboost said you could have one built but that will normaly run you a BIT more but you will have exactly what you want. Or you could try and build one your self. They become an addictive Hobby.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spike's Tactical is marginally more expensive and comes with a lifetime warranty. I would buy a Spike's Tactical if I was set on buying a complete rifle.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would help to know what your friend will be using it for. There are literally hundreds of brands/configurations available these days. Some are great, some are total crap. It's easy to pay more than you need to for one and it's also easy to pay as much for a low quality one as a good quality one.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a KISS carbine I've gotta say I'm impressed with the DPMS. Ours never gets cleaned and it gets 100 rounds per day minimum and somehow by the beard of Zeus it still works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom