Mauser or Mosin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry you are wrong. 1903 with war time barrel will shoot door-to-door with M96, consider better and easier adjustable sights and on average 1903 is a winner. You start tweaking either one - and a mauser does what a mauser does.

P.S. The best I've seen shot with M96 in MBABR match was 10-8x (by me LOL). The best with 1903a3 was done by Jeff A. with 100-10x - first and only time done so far.

Certainly both rifles are good but my experience is that the Mauser will best the 03 a bit. My son and I competed for many years with the M96 Mausers. He has shot 300 scores too many times to count and a number of them were 10X. He won the OK state military bolt action match a few times...both score and small group. Beating all the 03's that dared to show up. The M96 even allowed my old eyes to log a 1-1/4" group win in the state match one year, yep beating my son but he took it OK. The Mausers are simply very easy to shoot and are extremely accurate.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google results for me were rather inconclusive. What did you think I/we would find?
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/big_johnson_92/image_zpsd6efaf57.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/big_johnson_92/image_zps086ca161.jpg

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IMG_2322.jpg

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?266740-Exploding-Mosin (post #7)

Those are just a few examples of mosin KB's. The only thing I can find on a mauser blow up is the weaker m96 actions shelling. Swede and spanish actions will evaporate in your face given the right opportunity. The only mod98 kaboom I recall is a sporterized case hardened job. They got her a little too warm.

All that said I still shoot my mosins. The only concern is the out of battery incidents. The bolt pushes the round into the chamber practically on the primer. One stoppage and you jam hard, guess what?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ That's about what I thought it would be. Mauser '98 actions have been built into rifles chambered in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .416 Remington, .425 Westley Richards, .458 Lott, .458 Win., .505 Gibbs, and a host of wildcats by Weatherby, Askins, and many, many others. The '98 action is well proven, the world over. Mosins...well, not so much.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, but I'm also considering reloading if I get a Mauser, mostly because I don't intend to blow through a ton of ammo and will re-use brass. That 7.62x54r ammo is crazy cheap right now, though!

I've seen Mosins around $140-175 right now and M48 Mausers for about $250, so the price difference isn't THAT big.

Even though the M48 is Yugoslavian and not German, it is still a very good rifle.
I had one for a while, I only got rid of it because one I got tired of cleaning it after the range every time I shot it cuz of the ammo and two I needed money for something better.
I will one day though get me a real German Mauser, hopefully with the different WW2 markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you haven't seen the movie "Enemy at the Gates," find it and watch it. It's about a famous sniper at Stalingrad, and his weapon is a Mosin Nagant. Great film, and fairly accurate in terms of history.

However, Mauses are much finer and more user friendly than the Nagant. Using the MN safety requires gorilla fingers. I suspect the Russians just ignored the feature. There is a mod one can do to the bolt to make the safety less unfriendly.

After seeing "Enemy at the Gates," I built a sniper MN. It was deadly accurate, but long and difficult to use for hunting. Also, most ammo for these is corrosive, and failure to clean them immediately can result in a barrel full of red rust. I have a relative who learned this the hard way.

The only unconverted Mauser I now own is a Swede 6.5x55, and it's a real straight shooter. I have sold all my MN rifles because I just don't like them except for their historical significance.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only unconverted Mauser I now own is a Swede 6.5x55, and it's a real straight shooter. I have sold all my MN rifles because I just don't like them except for their historical significance.

Likewise. I had several MN's, including two real PU snipers and some Finnish M39's, but sold them all. I still have a few Swedish Mausers... one is for sale in the Classifieds :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom