Medical supplies: What are you stockpiling and where's some good places to aquire??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oregano oil
colloidal silver
MMS
thieves oil
cellfood

I figure I have enough fist aid supplies and can't dedicate too much to that...but I am more concerned about an outbreak of some kind and need a way to kill infections and/or microbes in water.

this stuff and Grape Seed Extract G.S.E. by Nutribiotic, good for Women, and I use it for ear infections, and I buy Antibiotics, when the Exp dates come up I rebuy and chunk all the old. other stuff too, needles for injectables and sutures.

https://www.calvetsupply.com/category/Oral_Antibiotics

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
Before my husband retired I was a Pharmacy Tech for 25 years. As a Prepper (who'd been around meds ½ my life), I suddenly wondered how to prepare for after disaster diseases, and infections; antibiotics were my main concern. I'll be the first to say antibiotics are way overprescribed but in a pandemic (which in reality is only an airflight away), I want to be able to keep my kids and grandkids as well as possible.

I had read in reknowned Prepper, Spigerelli's book about using pet meds when nothing else is available. My daughter had worked for a vet for years and he, more than once, gave her “doggie” Amoxil for sinus infections (when she had no medical Ins.). That's when I looked up Pet Supply Catalogs (as Spigerelli suggests) and looked under antibiotics. I soon learned you have to have a Vet's prescription for dogs and cats, BUT for fish and birds you DO NOT. Two of the catalogs I looked at for pets were, Doctors Foster and Smith, and UPCO. I found a lot more at UPCO and ordered from them. I called the company just to ask if the antibiotics for fish and birds (yes, in capsule form) was the pure antibiotic or were there fillers involved. I was told everything is pure, NO FILLERS are added and they are made in sterile, sanitary lab type environments. The strengths are also the same (sometimes the lower) dosage as for humans. I would not hesitate in a moment to dispense these if one of my grandkids had pneumonia, strep, etc. during a crisis where medical help is not possible. Here are some of the names at UPCO: Fish Flex (Cephalexin /Keflex), Fish Cillin (Ampicillin/ Omnipen), Fish Flox (Ciprofloxin/Cipro), Fish Mox (Amoxicillin/Amoxil), Fish Pen (Penicillin). Under Bird antibiotics there is Bird Biotic (Doxycycline **Doxycycline is used for SO MUCH). From Doctors Foster and Smith you can also get Clindamycin which is good for people who are allergic to penicillin.

I realize most doctors and professionals and some of you would find this highly unacceptable, unethical, and some even dangerous. Yes, it can be very dangerous if you don't know your medications, how they're used, the dosage to give, if there are allergies, what meds go for what infections. This is where you read, research, read, and research. Then, find out who's allergic to what, if any, and then which med to give for what. WebMd, MayoClinic.com, Wikipedia, etc can give you excellent info. Your Dr can if you just ask how to treat certain illnesses. AND if your Dr and you are assured enough to believe there could never come a time when Drs themselves might not be available, then GOOD LUCK! DOXYCYCLINE is used for Cholera, Malaria, Plague, Leptospirosis, MRSA (not 1st choice but better than nothing when the SHTF), Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Typhus CIPROFLOXIN is used for Typhoid Fever, Urinary Tract infections, Prostatitis, also for Cholera, Legionnaires. For waterborne illnesses you need parasitics like Metronidazole (Flagyl) which needs a prescription. For Viral infections like the flu, Tamiflu is good to have on hand if you can get a Dr to give you an x-tra RX.

For everyday stuff like sinus, headaches, ear aches, tooth aches, etc., start reading up on herbal remedies. There are dozens of places where you can order both dried herbs, oils, everything. Mountain Rose Herbs is a GREAT site for all herbs.Most of all during disasters; wash hands with soap and water often, have Lysol wipes, use bleach, wear masks, clean wounds immediately and use topical antibiotic ointments, and stay away from contaminated water (it can kill you by bathing or drinking). It's up to YOU to use your brain, learn, prepare, stay alert, and stay well. Over several weeks I put together for myself a 13 page guide for everything that a Prepper can think of in a LONG term shortage, economic crisis, etc. In the guide, I list LOTS of OTC meds, first aid supplies, plus other things for health care. I'll be glad to email you a copy; Preppers should give all the ideas you can to one another; you NEVER know when someone else's info could save your life. Go to my profile for my email address.

Last edited:

OKIE LADY

Marksman
Reaction score
The fish and/or bird antibiotics are under the specified catagory (not just for "fish tank"). I know, it sounds gross but it works especially when nothing else is going to be available; hence, the title "Preppers". Everything may not be exactly Kosher, but survivalists can't be picky! Okie Lady

SDS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Veterinary supply stores are great for medical supplies. Tape, gauze, bandages...they don't know people blood from animal blood. I have purchased from www.shopmedvet.com before. Swaim's in the stockyards has a few things as well but not nearly the variety that you can get online.

SDS

Latest posts

Top Bottom