The Zombie Apocalypse and You

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on the severity of the cause. If we're talking about a virus that only spreads through bites or wounds then I think a lot of us would do well and the whole situation would be wrapped up in a couple of years max.
If it's an airborne disease or something that can't be avoided as easily there'd be a worse breakdown of hardpoints where medical service could be organized for those of you with such needs.

I have no chronic illnesses, allergies, injuries, or the like, so I'd probably be the first to get drafted to go scout/fight.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m of the opinion that 95% of all deer hunters have no idea how to find a deer without feeders to draw them in. I’ve spent a lot of years sitting over feeders myself, but I proved this past season that I still have the skills to scout and kill deer with no feeders or cameras.
If the feces ever does hit the rotary oscillator, I’m afraid there’s going to be people shocked to discover there’s a lot more to deer hunting than camping out by a corn feeder.
I grew up hunting in N Cal, OR and WA. I had never heard of deer stands n feeders till I got in the Army and Southerners talking about hunting. I was like, "You do what?".

theman4bran

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Irregardless of how much we enjoy prepping and planning for the ZA, how many of you would actually survive more than one or two months, should the bottom truly drop out? I have medical needs that would render me useless about a month after loss of meds and they are of a type I can't stockpile (some refrigerated). Best I can do is put my family in a position to survive after I'm gone. I know a lot of us here are in a similar situation, through age if nothing else. Does it change how you prep or why? Just curious after re reading the Black Tide Rising series by John Ringo, probably the best most realistic look at a ZA.
I just caught this thread in my inbox. Fascinating topic.
Do you have the means to get a DC powered mini fridge? There are ways to power it with a solar setup. This would help with keeping meds like insulin cool
Another great read is "One Second After" by William Forstchen

theman4bran

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Read anything or watch anything from Matt Bracken. Also, watch MD Creekmore.

Basically, if you don't have a group of able-bodied men to defend your territory from siege, you can't make it. The lone wolf in the woods can't have a family to take care of, and will still probably not make it after several months.

I suggested on here a few years ago to get someone with a lot of land to figure out an interview & invite process just like joining the gun club. Depending on the size of the land, you could probably set a limit and either invite people who think like you off here to your private prep club, or even charge a membership and setup an LLC...just like a gun club or a Jeep club, etc. But you would have to have the land and time to offer to get it off the ground. Let us know if anyone decides to setup an outdoor "men's club" LOL.
Agreed. Won't make it alone. Need a trustworthy group of LOYAL and likeminded individuals

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually interesting premise in the new HBO series, "The Last of Us." The zombie apocalypse is caused by a fungus that keeps its host alive by gradually replacing the hosts tissue with the fungus. Obviously they took many liberties in medicine and science.

As for my survival, I may or may not survive. I have some skills, I have some prepper supplies, but anything can happen and with my luck not the best. It may not be other civilians or infected to worry about, it my be martial law and soldiers who want what you have horded. It would be nice to think that people would band together, protect doctors, organize and start farming crops and develop a system of barter and trade, be able to scavenge and rebuild. It will have to happen, lest we become feral and forget all that was learned over the centuries.
We had just a small test of what will/can happen in 1929. The great depression literally displace millions, made poor people, out of rich people, sometimes overnight. My parents grew up in these hard times. A few people literally committed suicide, but most simply adjusted as needed, grew more of their own food, hunted, fished, and gathered more wild food, learned to preserve food, learned to entertain themselves at home, neighbors, or church! The long term effect seems to be, these trying times, taught people to be resourceful, to think on their feet, to improvise, to help others, to work together. the VERY SKILLS they would soon need, to save the world from tyranny, and forced oppression, during WW2!! Now we call them the GREATEST GENERATION, FOR GOOD REASON!

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not too far fetched cordyceps is a fungus that does that to insect. It takes control of their brain and makes them climb into the tree canopy for spore dispersal.View attachment 341923
I agree it is not as far fetched as "Night of the Living Dead," the zombie apocalypse was created by an unknown form of radiation. Also remotely possible is 28 days later, "the rage virus" was a mutation of the rabies virus. Nevertheless, our biological systems face a lot of threats due to infection, diet, environment and each other. I would argue that yes, it may be possible for a fungal infection, zombie, possibly, but I suspect we face greater threats than zombies.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not too far fetched cordyceps is a fungus that does that to insect. It takes control of their brain and makes them climb into the tree canopy for spore dispersal.View attachment 341923
Now that would be real irony, to spend TRILLIONS preparing for every conceivable possibility, and threat, and to be taken out by a MUSHROOM? That would make a good SyFi movie?

Latest posts

Top Bottom