Muzzle Loader Noob Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a muzzle loader or a black powder type gun with the exception of a black powder cartridge rifle so this is probably a dumb question but here it is...

Can you still use loose black powder in a modern muzzle loader that is designed for the powder "pellet" things. Say if you didn't have access to the commercial preformed powder pellets could you use the same black powder as a "traditional" BP rifle?

I've always thought that it might be wise to have a black powder gun or two just for a worst case scenario where I didn't have access to any other way to shoot or if I just decide it's something I want to try. The older I get the more I become interested in the way people did things before me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you can.

Loose powder is much preferred over the pellets by some serious BP shooters. Your gun will tell you what is the most accurate. I've seen tests that show the real Black Powder is less corrosive than some of the pellets. Other pellet manufacturers have developed powders that just use water to clean, so the process is evolving.

I have a Savage Smokeless Muzzle loader. It uses modern powders, has higher velocity's and doesn't need cleaned after every shooting session.

In a SHTF deal, one could use the powder from loaded rounds that have been found, abandoned, with great caution, but in a SHTF scenario, one has to do what one has to do.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's good, I was expecting a no, interesting. I need to do some research as to which ML rifle seems best for me, not planning on buying right now but I usually research everything to death before buying.

Thanks Dennis

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Brandi, ive been muzzleloading for years. Im building a flintlock(in hiatus). Ive watched and heard all the arguments about smokless, pellets, pyrodex and real black powder. Ive even heard all the pros n cons if inlines vs traditional and caplock vs flintlick.

I recommend getting a traditional caplock. Heres some reasons:

Easy to clean and maintain. No tools needed.
you can shoot pellets, pyrodex or real black powder.
The twist rate in traditional MLs allows you to Patched round balls, conicals and sabots.
You can pick up a synthetic stocked CVA bobcat for $50-75. Deals abound for traditional rifles.

Buy a few boxes of caps and a pound of real black powder and your set.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Something to look at when you research the BP, you will see that the pellets are measured in grains, just like the BP granules. This allows the two to be interchanged easily. I have two ML's that like pellets the best but still have acceptable accuracy with granules.

BP is a complete HOOT to shoot! It's like firing a canon with all that wonderful smoke and the smell is very unique. We LOVE our ML's.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heres a quick couple pics of my CVA Double barrel .50 cal caplock.

Attachments

• 20140620_235159.jpg
    20140620_235159.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20140620_235138.jpg
    20140620_235138.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 20140620_235232.jpg
    20140620_235232.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 156

Latest posts

Top Bottom