Muzzle Loader Noob Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The T/C Encore or Contender or G2 frame is what has the serial # on it, and is what you fill out the form for. Used to be able to buy just the frame, assuming you still can, but it's usually bought attached to a pistol, rifle, ML or shotgun already. Encore is the only T/C frame that offers the ML of the three frames mentioned. Yes you can shoot a ML on a Encore frame, switch over to a 20g or 12g, then over to .416 Rigby then to a .357 pistol...........and the combinations are almost endless.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_encorereciever_zpsdf0e349c.jpg

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty wild. I've always heard the TC's were very accurate, anyone have any experience with their rifle accuracy and their ML setups?

Second question...the ML kits, such as the Hawken and others...do they make good shooters? Even though I'm not a BP person I've always wanted to build one of those like those from our past history.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty wild. I've always heard the TC's were very accurate, anyone have any experience with their rifle accuracy and their ML setups?

Second question...the ML kits, such as the Hawken and others...do they make good shooters? Even though I'm not a BP person I've always wanted to build one of those like those from our past history.

In my experience yes. Theres some little tricks but generally the kit guns(I recommend Lyman GPR .50) are pretty good. Id put my T/C Seneca .45 or my Lyman GPR .50 against anything inside of 50yds.

But mostly muzzleloader accuracy hinges on your load. For these 2 guns its the same. 60grains of Ff Goex BP, .15 pillow ticking, bore butter soaked, cut at muzzle and a .440 or .490 round ball. 1 big ragged hole for 3 shots...all touching after 5, hafta wipe after 5 shots.

Not bragging, I used to shoot the holes that my buddies inlines made, just to show them the traditional stuff can still bring it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like lurker said, I've not seen a kit gun that didn't shoot well. Three experiences with the Encore ML, one was a stainless barrel, I COULD NOT FIND ONE LOAD THAT SHOT UNDER 4" GROUPS. Tried it with scope and iron sights to check for scope/base issues, same results. Found a good deal on a blued one, got rid of the stainless. The blue shot really well with just about everything I put down the barrel.............then the Savage ML1 came out, watch and read good reviews about it, then the MLII came out, and the rest is history.

Have a friend who still shoots a blue Encore, shoots very well.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I saw a Hawken for sale in the classifieds that I'd love to have but it'll be awhile before I can afford anything, even a bargain.

Cant ever tell, when my custom .40 bedford is done...before september, ill have lotsa deals. Ill move 5 or 6, maybe we can work a deal. (Hint) I need a drop cloth tent sewed up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom