Need advice from the legal folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another vote for a baseball bat and a little quality time. I have had neighbors in the past who did not control their dogs.

First I try to ply them with treats thru the fence, not over. Over just teaches them to jump and nip. Through a knothole in the fence teaches them to sit nice and nibble.

If they get in the yard and are still aggressive, then break out the bat. Do not hit him in the head, or midsection, unless you are WANTING to kill him. Several decent cracks to any muscled up part of his body (shoulder or hip section) will smart enough to make him think twice about coming after you.

When my damned Dawg, who followed me home from the lake, decided he was king of all he surveyed a couple of really solid ass-whippings, and handfeeding taught him pretty quick the error of his ways. He is laying here in my lap snoring, as I type.

We have a fence that is kinda ratty on one fence line. It is between our house and what used to be a rental. I'm saving money to replace it but there are two problems -- one the neighbor has a tree so close to the fenceline it has actually pushed the solid concrete border into my property. They won't cut the tree down and I can't legally. Two, their ratty-ass dog digs at the fence trying to get to my dogs and destroys the fence panels pretty quick.

He's a cute dog but for some reason when he gets in my yard he thinks it's smart for his 8-pound ass to take on my 90-pound GSD. Nero was used to socialize new litters at the kennel he came from so he's gentle as can be but the last straw for him was when Outlaw bit him on his man parts. I honestly though Nero had killed him when he grabbed him and shook him like a rag doll but he only drew a little blood from a puncture wound on Outlaw's shoulder.

I've gone to keeping my two in the house unless I can be out back with them because I'm afraid next time Outlaw won't be so lucky, and I can just hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth if the unthinkable happens. I LOATHE having neighbors but me convincing the old man to move out of town is not happening. :bah:

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another vote for a baseball bat and a little quality time. I have had neighbors in the past who did not control their dogs.

First I try to ply them with treats thru the fence, not over. Over just teaches them to jump and nip. Through a knothole in the fence teaches them to sit nice and nibble.

If they get in the yard and are still aggressive, then break out the bat. Do not hit him in the head, or midsection, unless you are WANTING to kill him. Several decent cracks to any muscled up part of his body (shoulder or hip section) will smart enough to make him think twice about coming after you.

When my damned Dawg, who followed me home from the lake, decided he was king of all he surveyed a couple of really solid ass-whippings, and handfeeding taught him pretty quick the error of his ways. He is laying here in my lap snoring, as I type.

We have a fence that is kinda ratty on one fence line. It is between our house and what used to be a rental. I'm saving money to replace it but there are two problems -- one the neighbor has a tree so close to the fenceline it has actually pushed the solid concrete border into my property. They won't cut the tree down and I can't legally. Two, their ratty-ass dog digs at the fence trying to get to my dogs and destroys the fence panels pretty quick.

He's a cute dog but for some reason when he gets in my yard he thinks it's smart for his 8-pound ass to take on my 90-pound GSD. Nero was used to socialize new litters at the kennel he came from so he's gentle as can be but the last straw for him was when Outlaw bit him on his man parts. I honestly though Nero had killed him when he grabbed him and shook him like a rag doll but he only drew a little blood from a puncture wound on Outlaw's shoulder.

I've gone to keeping my two in the house unless I can be out back with them because I'm afraid next time Outlaw won't be so lucky, and I can just hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth if the unthinkable happens. I LOATHE having neighbors but me convincing the old man to move out of town is not happening. :bah:

If you can find a root from that tree on your property, drill into it and pour some root killer into it. Before too long the tree will die then you can force them to remove it.

Yeah, might get me a Louisville Slugger to keep by the back door, though the dog lover in me would loathe to hit him. I would rather a non-injury or a quick death. I just hope they leave once their lease is up. Either way, if the dog gets in my yard again the cops will be called and hopefully a citation will be issued.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please note I did not say DUMP...

I said rehome. I am sure there is some old man out there who would like an ornery dog to keep people away or chase after anything and everything. Then again I would imagine a scrap yard or two may enjoy that as well. If I was going to dump it I may as well just take it out of town and shoot it myself than to leave the problems with someone else.
I guess when you put rehome in quotes it made me think you meant something more like dump.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find a root from that tree on your property, drill into it and pour some root killer into it. Before too long the tree will die then you can force them to remove it.

Yeah, might get me a Louisville Slugger to keep by the back door, though the dog lover in me would loathe to hit him. I would rather a non-injury or a quick death. I just hope they leave once their lease is up. Either way, if the dog gets in my yard again the cops will be called and hopefully a citation will be issued.

Look, dogs learn ... Right now he is getting positive reinforcement from his behavior. He gets to get a bigger territory AND challenge and chase stupid humans (no offense). A half-hearted jab or smack will only serve to embolden him and make you have to resort to actually injuring him to get him to back off.

I know it sounds harsh but you GOTTA get him under control before he actually gets on you or someone you love. I grew up in a veterinarian's clinic. There is no one who loves animals more than me ... Except maybe @caojyn ... Lol ... I had to make myself a drink and bawled my eyes out after Dawg and I tied up the last time. He was clearly sore for several days after. But honestly he was so bad, and is so stout, my next choice was to put a bullet in him. He was "that" close, too. I'm glad it didn't come to that because I'd be sitting here second-guessing myself instead of loving on him.

Tough love is a good thing sometimes.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just completed the SDA course, and that was one of the questions. Dog not yours, on your property, and attacking you. Bang, bang, call 911. The instructor is a seasoned SWAT officer.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an issue with a neighbors dog a while back. Few years ago the same neighbor let a trash fire get away from them and it was burning a field adjacent to our property. That dog was barking and acting aggressive toward the fire crew that was trying to fight the fire. I ran in the house to grab a gun, the law and dog's owner showed up just in time for all 3 of us to meet at the edge of my property. The owner grabbed the dog by the collar which saved it's life. Sheriff told the dog's owner I had every right to kill that dog and they best figure out a way to keep it contained. They put up a fence and no more dog problem.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an issue with a neighbors dog a while back. Few years ago the same neighbor let a trash fire get away from them and it was burning a field adjacent to our property. That dog was barking and acting aggressive toward the fire crew that was trying to fight the fire. I ran in the house to grab a gun, the law and dog's owner showed up just in time for all 3 of us to meet at the edge of my property. The owner grabbed the dog by the collar which saved it's life. Sheriff told the dog's owner I had every right to kill that dog and they best figure out a way to keep it contained. They put up a fence and no more dog problem.

Yeah, my neighbor wanted me to go halves on a privacy fence. I was like why should I pay anything to help YOU control YOUR dog. Cop said the same thing.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wanted to try this thing....

38528967_1869796376659342_6173937027537436672_n.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom