Never again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, for example, you have Rijas that builds complete guns based off lowers they purchase. Are they manufacturing or reselling?

Manufacturing.

I take a box of 1911 parts to my favorite type 01 gunsmith. He puts it together and cerakotes it for me. Gunsmithing.

I take a 10/22 off the shelf and thread it for a suppressor. Manufacturing.

I take a glock off the shelf and cerakote the slide pink to make it a "ladies edition." Manufacturing.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

Q: May a person engage in gunsmithing under a dealer’s license (type 01), or do gunsmiths need to be licensed as “manufacturers” of firearms?
Generally, a person engaged in gunsmithing requires only a dealer’s license (type 01). There are circumstances in which a gunsmith might require a manufacturing license. Generally, a person should obtain a license as a manufacturer of firearms if the person is: 1. performing operations which create firearms or alter firearms (in the case of alterations, the work is not being performed at the request of customers, rather the person who is altering the firearms is purchasing them, making the changes, and then reselling them), 2. is performing the operations as a regular course of business or trade, and 3. is performing the operations for the purpose of sale or distribution of the firearms.

Below are examples of operations performed on firearms and guidance as to whether or not such operations would be considered manufacturing under the Gun Control Act (GCA). These examples do not address the question of whether the operations are considered manufacturing for purposes of determining excise tax. Any questions concerning the payment of excise tax should be directed to the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, U.S. Department of the Treasury.

A company produces a quantity of firearm frames or receivers for sale to customers who will assemble firearms.

The company is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms and should be licensed as a manufacturer of firearms.

A company produces frames or receivers for another company that assembles and sells the firearms.

Both companies are engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms and each should be licensed as a manufacturer of firearms.

A company provides frames to a subcontractor company that performs machining operations on the frames and returns the frames to the original company which assembles and sells the completed firearms.

Both companies are engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms and should be licensed as manufacturers of firearms.

A company produces barrels for firearms and sells the barrels to another company that assembles and sells complete firearms.

Because barrels are not firearms, the company that manufactures the barrels is not a manufacturer of firearms. The company that assembles and sells the firearms should be licensed as a manufacturer of firearms.

A company receives firearm frames from individual customers, attaches stocks and barrels and returns the firearms to the customers for the customers' personal use.

The operations performed on the firearms were not for the purpose of sale or distribution. The company should be licensed as a dealer or gunsmith, not as a manufacturer of firearms.

A company acquires one receiver, assembles one firearm, and sells the firearm.

The company is not manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business and is not engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms. This company does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer.

An individual acquires frames or receivers and assembles firearms for his personal use, not for sale or distribution.

The individual is not manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution and is not required to be a licensed manufacturer.

A gunsmith regularly buys military type firearms, Mausers etc., and “sporterizes” them for resale.

The gunsmith is in the business of manufacturing firearms and should be licensed as a manufacturer.

A gunsmith buys semiautomatic pistols or revolvers and modifies the slides to accept new Style f sights. The sights are not usually sold with these firearms and do not attach to the existing mounting openings.

The gunsmith offers these firearms for sale. This would be considered the manufacturing of firearms and the gunsmith should be licensed as a manufacturer.

A gunsmith buys government model pistols and installs “drop-in” precision trigger parts or other “drop-in parts” for the purpose of resale.

This would be considered the manufacturing of firearms, as the gunsmith is purchasing the firearms, modifying the firearms and selling them. The gunsmith should be licensed as a manufacturer.

A gunsmith buys surplus military rifles, bends the bolts to accept a scope, and then drills the receivers for a scope base. The gunsmith offers these firearms for sale.

This would be considered the manufacturing of firearms and the gunsmith should be licensed as a manufacturer.

A gunsmith buys surplus military rifles or pistols and removes the stocks, adds new stocks or pistol grips, cleans the firearms, then sends the firearms to a separate contractor for bluing. These firearms are then sold to the public.

This would be considered manufacturing of firearms and the gunsmith should be licensed as a manufacturer.

A company purchases surplus firearms, cleans the firearms then offers them for sale to the public.

The company does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the point in posting if you aren't going to tell from whom you got it from? Now all you have is a bunch of speculation. Tell us who it is, take it back and then tell us how their customer service is.

Darva

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the point in posting if you aren't going to tell from whom you got it from? Now all you have is a bunch of speculation. Tell us who it is, take it back and then tell us how their customer service is.

This.
Please do us all a favor and carry through with this.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt I can return it, and I've assembled/tweaked(filed and drilled) it to work. I don't think I could exchange it anyways since it was a limited run, their would be no others for me to get. I'll just figure out if it works when I get to finally fire it.

Last edited:

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long is the warranty period?

One (1) year from the date of purchase.

What is covered?

Any defect in materials or workmanship (performed by 2 **** ****) encountered during normal use.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt I can return it, and I've assembled/tweaked(filed and drilled) it to work. I don't think I could exchange it anyways since it was a limited run, their would be no others for me to get. I'll just figure out if it works by whether I keep my hand or not when I decide to finally fire it.

For those of you who must know, it's on this page:

http://www.okshooters.com/search.php?searchid=1251886&pp=&page=5

Even if you have tweaked or filed there is a good chance they can tell if it was defective from the start. I would at least give them a chance to make it right. They could be very reasonable and helpful and keep you and others as customers.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact that is local and charity should give it away. I have seen both their lowers and rifles and quality seems fine. They dont actually mfr them, just their rollmark like any other # of companies. I know they are busy with a major retail contract, but I would expect they could do something, even replace it with a standard lower?

Latest posts

Top Bottom