New Truck, Which One?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think that if someone really needed a 3/4 ton truck to haul 10k pounds, They would not be buying either one of these. No offense, I just bought a v-8 Titan and wouldnt think about hooking my 10k pound boat to it.

No offense taken. I wouldn't try to pull 10,000 lbs with a Titan either. That's about 500 lbs over their capacity. The Tundra has more hp and torque than the Titan and is rated at 10,400 towing capacity for the 5.7L. I pulled a 34' fifth wheel at 9,800 lbs to Colorado Springs without even a hiccup.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always noticed the little trucks ratings are different (lower) than the bigger trucks, it seems like they are more accurate to an actual rating though. With that said I dont think toyota is close to same ratings as say a F250. I took the specs of a regular cab 5.7 2wd ( highest ratings ) against the a reg cab 2wd F250 gasser for comparo. The chevy's and dodge's are significantly higher too. Toyota might claim 3/4 ton ratings but their towing specs are right inline with the 1/2 tons of the big 3.

Toyota max payload 2090lbs , max towing 10,400lbs
F250 max payload 4080lbs , max towing 15,700lbs or 12,500lbs conventional

If you wanted a little more capacity out of the F250 you can upgrade to the 6.7 powerstroke, those figures are for the gasser.
Toyota doesn't claim 3/4 ton ratings and never have. IMHO I would not put Dodge or GM in the big 3 anymore since they needed taxpayer $$ to stay afloat. Ford makes a fine truck as well but it is hard to beat a Tundra.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense taken. I wouldn't try to pull 10,000 lbs with a Titan either. That's about 500 lbs over their capacity. The Tundra has more hp and torque than the Titan and is rated at 10,400 towing capacity for the 5.7L. I pulled a 34' fifth wheel at 9,800 lbs to Colorado Springs without even a hiccup.

No thanks...I will stick to my REAL 3/4 f-250 diesel to pull my heavy loads with. Last time I checked those 5.7L gas engines had about half the torque as most diesels. I actually like to drive 75mph on the turnpike pulling 10k+ trailer loads.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
totally agree... a 3/4 ton or better rated truck is needed for a 10k lb load.

what kind of mileage do you get from your Titan?
sold my old FJ-60 Landcruiser due to horrible mileage. I'd be lucky to get 12 mpg ..

max load pulled with the FJ-60 cruiser was a trailer loaded with a FJ-40 cruiser. 5k lb + 2k for trailer = 7k lbs ... the old cruiser would pull it no problems, just not very fast.

now I'm driving a 12v cummins which gets 20-22 mpg ... I've yanked 25k+ lb loads with my 12v cummins ... no sweat... then the problem becomes, it's not what you can pull... but what you can stop!

I would think that if someone really needed a 3/4 ton truck to haul 10k pounds, They would not be buying either one of these. No offense, I just bought a v-8 Titan and wouldnt think about hooking my 10k pound boat to it.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
totally agree... a 3/4 ton or better rated truck is needed for a 10k lb load.

what kind of mileage do you get from your Titan?
sold my old FJ-60 Landcruiser due to horrible mileage. I'd be lucky to get 12 mpg ..

max load pulled with the FJ-60 cruiser was a trailer loaded with a FJ-40 cruiser. 5k lb + 2k for trailer = 7k lbs ... the old cruiser would pull it no problems, just not very fast.

now I'm driving a 12v cummins which gets 20-22 mpg ... I've yanked 25k+ lb loads with my 12v cummins ... no sweat... then the problem becomes, it's not what you can pull... but what you can stop!

Good ole 12v cummins...Hard to beat !! I bought one new and wish I would have kept it.

Speaking of stopping....I would imagine those tundras are real hard to stop when the gas pedal is stuck wide open.:o

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, if there is a sticker with towing capacities inside your door, it wasn't put there by the factory. Second I just copied this from Toyota's website for the 4.6L.

CAPACITIES

WEIGHT AND CAPACITIES
Curb weight (lb.) 5250
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.) 6800
Maximum payload [2] (lb.) 1550
Towing capacity [3] (lb.) 8100
Fuel tank (gal.) 26.4

Maybe you should call Toyota and tell them what the sticker inside your door says. I'm sure they screwed up somewhere.

Maybe you should do the math on 1500lbs and 3/4's of a ton. You're totally correct in what you read, which is why I am wondering why you would doubt what I am telling you. I'll take a pic, but I have to admit I read the door tonight and I did loose 39.0 lbs. to something in a correction that was added after it was delivered to the dealer. I wonder how much my bedliner weighs???

You also neglected the SR5 which adds, springs, and heavier anti-swaybars.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Don't take offense to this as I am addressing the next couple posts as well.

I have driven trucks of every manufacturer, and rating there of. I can tell you that I would GLADLY put 10,000lbs behind this Tundra LONG before I would my 88' GMC 1 Ton. It now has about 58,000 miles on it and aside from a ridiculous amount of HP and a nice granny 4-speed, it's a towing wimp!!! factory installed BUMPER for 12,000!!! COME ON!!! It was originally sold to the El Paso water district and auction off as it came. I still would never hook that kind of weight to a bumper, let alone that truck!

Piss poor suspension and stock tires, sorry bushings and anti-sway, and most of all, half of the braking that my Tundra has.

I stated that my truck is a 3/4 ton, because 1. IT IS! 1500lbs is 3/4's of a standard ton! 2. We received an ad that actually got me thinking and looking at these trucks that was in type "3/4 Ton 4X4", NEW 2010 Tundra, etc. etc., hey say it's the local dealer, but as far as I know that is still Toyota. Moreover I am still old I guess and call that 3/4 ton. I don't tell my friends that when they ask that "My truck has a one thousand five hundred pound total carry capacity from empty curb weight".

I also SERIOUSLY doubt that the skimping generic crap that the big 3 are producing on tax return revenue could hold a candle to what Toyota or Nissan is doing right now. You buy a vehicle from a bankrupt company that is giving their exec's bonuses, your paying for crap because that is what they can afford to sell to you.

I used to love GM and Ford, but in the last 3 years they have sold nothing but electronics and 2nd rate seats. If you need something to use for work, don't buy it from a union operated, gov't owned, bankrupt company of suited billionaires.....

Dodge has always sucked.... They can buy all the stamped valve covers they like for their crap engines and transmissions, but their record speaks for itself.

:rant:

[email protected]

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a frontier king cab 4x4. Excellent truck, no experience with the Tacoma but I don't know how you could go wrong with it either. Not a bad pool to chose from in my opinion. It may be more about what is available and what sort of deal your getting.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take offense to this as I am addressing the next couple posts as well.

I have driven trucks of every manufacturer, and rating there of. I can tell you that I would GLADLY put 10,000lbs behind this Tundra LONG before I would my 88' GMC 1 Ton. It now has about 58,000 miles on it and aside from a ridiculous amount of HP and a nice granny 4-speed, it's a towing wimp!!! factory installed BUMPER for 12,000!!! COME ON!!! It was originally sold to the El Paso water district and auction off as it came. I still would never hook that kind of weight to a bumper, let alone that truck!

Piss poor suspension and stock tires, sorry bushings and anti-sway, and most of all, half of the braking that my Tundra has.

I stated that my truck is a 3/4 ton, because 1. IT IS! 1500lbs is 3/4's of a standard ton! 2. We received an ad that actually got me thinking and looking at these trucks that was in type "3/4 Ton 4X4", NEW 2010 Tundra, etc. etc., hey say it's the local dealer, but as far as I know that is still Toyota. Moreover I am still old I guess and call that 3/4 ton. I don't tell my friends that when they ask that "My truck has a one thousand five hundred pound total carry capacity from empty curb weight".

I also SERIOUSLY doubt that the skimping generic crap that the big 3 are producing on tax return revenue could hold a candle to what Toyota or Nissan is doing right now. You buy a vehicle from a bankrupt company that is giving their exec's bonuses, your paying for crap because that is what they can afford to sell to you.

I used to love GM and Ford, but in the last 3 years they have sold nothing but electronics and 2nd rate seats. If you need something to use for work, don't buy it from a union operated, gov't owned, bankrupt company of suited billionaires.....

Dodge has always sucked.... They can buy all the stamped valve covers they like for their crap engines and transmissions, but their record speaks for itself.

:rant:

I take it that you have never owned a later model 3/4 or 1-ton chevy,ford,or dodge with a turbo diesel? There is no comparison to ANYTHING that toyota makes period! Your 88 model chevy 1-ton with a granny gear 4-speed is like comparing a 88 toyota with a 4cyl to your new tundra. Torque is what pulls a load, not horsepower. A stock 3/4 or 1-ton from the big three with a diesel puts out twice the torque as a toyota gas engine.

You talked about the dodge truck engines suck. Again you must not have ever had a 3/4 or 1-ton dodge with a 12v cummins engine. These engines will go over 1-million miles with regular maintenance.

I am not puting down toyota or nissan, Hell, I own a nissan titan, good truck, But I haul my heavy loads with something actually made for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom