New Truck, Which One?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty sure yours is not a 3/4 ton. I do admit the Tundra looks pretty big for a half ton though.

I have a 08 Tundra and a 99 Tacoma. Honestly I like the Tacoma way better than the Tundra. My Tundra has the small V-8 and it averages around 17 mpg on the highway and its a 2wd. You are correct that the small engine does have plenty of power. If I ever buy another Tundra I will go ahead and get the big 5.7L engine and 4x4 since it appears those options don't affect fuel millage much.
Toyota doesn't rate their pickups in half or 3/4 ton. If you get the 5.7L, it has the towing capacity of everyone else's 3/4 ton though. I have a Tundra with a 5.7L and love it. I went with Toyota because of great success stories I've heard from every one I know that's ever owned one (Tacoma and Tundra). Two years later I'm not disappointed. Usually I would be ready to trade by now but I still love it. I bought it new and have 62,000 miles on it in 2 years. I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it states a 1500lb load capacity and a 10,000lb towing. It's even advertised as 3/4 in it's brochure. As for mileage, I get pretty good mpg, but man any wind and you can kiss that bye bye! I have to wonder if the 5.7 would actually show less mpg loss under stress.
The 4.8L has a 8,100 lb towing capacity not 10,000. As for the ratings, Toyota doesn't ever advertise the truck as 3/4 ton. The Tundra is a 1/2 ton rated truck but it will do way more than that. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 4.8L has a 8,100 lb towing capacity not 10,000. As for the ratings, Toyota doesn't ever advertise the truck as 3/4 ton. The Tundra is a 1/2 ton rated truck but it will do way more than that. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

We got a flyer in the mail that advertised it as "3/4 Ton". If I can find it I'll scan it. I have the 4.6L with the SR5 package. It is rated as stated, not sure about older ones. All I can tell you is what's written inside my drivers door. I'm guessing that it's correct. I could be wrong.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I would think that if someone really needed a 3/4 ton truck to haul 10k pounds, They would not be buying either one of these. No offense, I just bought a v-8 Titan and wouldnt think about hooking my 10k pound boat to it.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it states a 1500lb load capacity and a 10,000lb towing. It's even advertised as 3/4 in it's brochure. As for mileage, I get pretty good mpg, but man any wind and you can kiss that bye bye! I have to wonder if the 5.7 would actually show less mpg loss under stress.

Toyota doesn't rate their pickups in half or 3/4 ton. If you get the 5.7L, it has the towing capacity of everyone else's 3/4 ton though. I have a Tundra with a 5.7L and love it. I went with Toyota because of great success stories I've heard from every one I know that's ever owned one (Tacoma and Tundra). Two years later I'm not disappointed. Usually I would be ready to trade by now but I still love it. I bought it new and have 62,000 miles on it in 2 years. I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off.

I always noticed the little trucks ratings are different (lower) than the bigger trucks, it seems like they are more accurate to an actual rating though. With that said I dont think toyota is close to same ratings as say a F250. I took the specs of a regular cab 5.7 2wd ( highest ratings ) against the a reg cab 2wd F250 gasser for comparo. The chevy's and dodge's are significantly higher too. Toyota might claim 3/4 ton ratings but their towing specs are right inline with the 1/2 tons of the big 3.

Toyota max payload 2090lbs , max towing 10,400lbs
F250 max payload 4080lbs , max towing 15,700lbs or 12,500lbs conventional

If you wanted a little more capacity out of the F250 you can upgrade to the 6.7 powerstroke, those figures are for the gasser.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a flyer in the mail that advertised it as "3/4 Ton". If I can find it I'll scan it. I have the 4.6L with the SR5 package. It is rated as stated, not sure about older ones. All I can tell you is what's written inside my drivers door. I'm guessing that it's correct. I could be wrong.
First off, if there is a sticker with towing capacities inside your door, it wasn't put there by the factory. Second I just copied this from Toyota's website for the 4.6L.

CAPACITIES

WEIGHT AND CAPACITIES
Curb weight (lb.) 5250
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.) 6800
Maximum payload [2] (lb.) 1550
Towing capacity [3] (lb.) 8100
Fuel tank (gal.) 26.4

Maybe you should call Toyota and tell them what the sticker inside your door says. I'm sure they screwed up somewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom