New Truck, Which One?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An F-150 is the only truck worth owning!!!!!

Ya know before the 2000's I would agree that the f-150 is a great truck. Now they are just well dressed Mazda's. They still perform well, but seem to have lost a lot of the durability that they once had. I will say that Ford is making some REALLY cool stuff as far as electronics and options though!

A year back we traded in our 09 Edge. That thing was AWESOME! The new one takes up to 10,000 voice commands, etc., too damn cool. I'm guessing that many of those options are available in the well optioned truck as well.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An F-150 is the only truck worth owning!!!!!

Tell that to my buddy in NC. 2004 F-150 Supercrew driveshaft failure, which was apparently not a recall, and he could not get one. Anywhere. Junkyards, repair stores, dealers, no one could get one for him. He ended up welding it back together with a pipe sleeve and dealing with it. His experience, not mine.

Mind you, my first truck was a '94 F-150 that I absolutely loved. I've driven '07's and I thought they were okay, but I just don't feel that I need that much truck for anything anymore. If I have to haul something that big, I'll buy a trailer, as my Taco has pulled those with absolutely no problem. I also like that I can pretty much park my Taco anywhere, whereas with all the newer Fords I've drove and watched, I generally had to have a triple space open towards the back of Walmart to feel comfortable.

Whitey, I will agree with you that the shoulder space runs a little short in the Taco. I'm no lineman, but I am a little barrel chested. At that though, I'm 6'2" and I feel that I have plenty of leg room and room period in my truck.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know this is just a back from the dead thread, and you already have the Frontier, but I totally am sold on Tacos now. I was Ford solid until I got my '01 Taco, and it's Tacoma from here on.

Mine's not a TRD, not 4WD, just the V-6 with 4 door and a camper shell. That said, with the Goodyear AT's that came with it, I have literally had my little truck in 8" deep red clay mud, and came out on top over a 4WD heavy Chevy Suburban.

I also drove it into Tulsa in the middle of the snow/sleet storm last Jan or Feb, never having been here before, and never spun out, slid around, nothing. Including the 16 extra miles on 75N when my GPS decided that to get off at 56th st N, you need to make a u-turn at 126th st N. . .

I absolutely love mine, and the next one I get will be that metallic blue color, 4 doors, TRD 4x4, and will have that damned extension plug in the back because that's the coolest useful thing I can think of, especially if you have to do a little cabin carpentry in the woods!

When I was making the decision on this truck a while back there was a nice metallic blue Tacoma that I was making comparisons to. Very nice ride and I would say it's a better looking truck on the outside.

But what sealed the deal for me was that the interior of the Frontier appealed to me more.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyota makes a super solid truck with guts!!

I use to own a 89 toyota pickup with 180xxx miles on it. had the 22re 4 banger and stock drivetrain running 33" muds. Would spend the snow days driving around pulling people out of ditches and once pulled a fuel tanker that was stuck on ice trying to make it out of a shell gas station (63rd and Broadway) the exit from the parking lot onto 63rd is a steep drive due to the station setting lower than 63rd st. He was stuck, cab on 63rd street, tanker still down in the parking lot. I hooked that little toyota up to the back of the tanker and pulled him back over the hump and back into the parking lot. all while being filmed by the local news. Guy driving the truck couldn't believe my little toy could pull that much weight. Wish I still had a copy of the video, but alas never received a copy upon request.

I now have a '04 limited 4runner with the 4.7L V8, 4x4 with 156xxx miles on it and still rock solid!! I would take it anywhere and not worry about getting stuck or breaking down. Waiting by the window for snow to get the runner out and rescuing.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I just bought a 2010 Tundra and freaking love it! I bought it for the fact that it is 4x4 and the new Camaro is just not suited for Oklahoma winters. I'm sure the Tacoma is optioned and built very much the same.

Go with the 4.6L, you'll be amazed at the amount of power there. Mine is getting 22-23mpg on the highway and around 14 in the city(mine is full size, 3/4 ton, 4x4, and 4 door).

I am pretty sure yours is not a 3/4 ton. I do admit the Tundra looks pretty big for a half ton though.

I have a 08 Tundra and a 99 Tacoma. Honestly I like the Tacoma way better than the Tundra. My Tundra has the small V-8 and it averages around 17 mpg on the highway and its a 2wd. You are correct that the small engine does have plenty of power. If I ever buy another Tundra I will go ahead and get the big 5.7L engine and 4x4 since it appears those options don't affect fuel millage much.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty sure yours is not a 3/4 ton. I do admit the Tundra looks pretty big for a half ton though.

I have a 08 Tundra and a 99 Tacoma. Honestly I like the Tacoma way better than the Tundra. My Tundra has the small V-8 and it averages around 17 mpg on the highway and its a 2wd. You are correct that the small engine does have plenty of power. If I ever buy another Tundra I will go ahead and get the big 5.7L engine and 4x4 since it appears those options don't affect fuel millage much.

Well it states a 1500lb load capacity and a 10,000lb towing. It's even advertised as 3/4 in it's brochure. As for mileage, I get pretty good mpg, but man any wind and you can kiss that bye bye! I have to wonder if the 5.7 would actually show less mpg loss under stress.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was making the decision on this truck a while back there was a nice metallic blue Tacoma that I was making comparisons to. Very nice ride and I would say it's a better looking truck on the outside.

But what sealed the deal for me was that the interior of the Frontier appealed to me more.

Well, I was in the same boat as you when I was looking to step down from the F150 I had previous. I was between the Frontier and Tacoma as well, and IIRC I even test drove a Frontier. That being said, I can't remember a single thing about the interior.

I buy trucks to be trucks. My interior mirrors the exterior, worked. I like to haul junk around, and I do mean junk-crap I've found metal detecting, shovels, rakes, buckets, and in a week or two a load of coal for blacksmithing. I have some scratches, a few little dings, and some red VA clay from a trip last March(that crap is sticky).

I went to the Tacoma mainly because I liked the way the exterior looked over the Frontier. I don't really care for the rack things, if I did I would have just went with a Ford Explorer SportTrac.

The only thing I have noticed otherwise is that I have seen Frontiers in one capacity-city vehicles. Not that that's a bad thing, just that that's honestly the only place I have seen them. Tacos, on the other hand, I have seen with every mod from on the ground to in the air. If you're ever on the beach end of NC or VA(mainly NC) they're everywhere and about 3ft off the ground.

I'm not trying to make you change your mind, you like what you have otherwise you wouldn't have gotten it. I'm just giving my thoughts about what I like. I do remember the Frontier vs. the Tacos I was looking at at the time were a better value as well. I ended up getting a more used Taco for a better deal is probably the main reason I got one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom