NRA sits out gunfight with feds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nobody's talking about picketing the GOA, it's not fair to drag them into this.

Well lets see.....the GOA was responsible for the complete upheavel of Congress in 1994...no,that was the NRA.The GOA was responsible for the defeat of Mike Synar(second only to Chuckie Schumer in his gun stance) by Tom Coburn.....no,that was the NRA.The GOA strikes fear into the hearts of political anti gunners......no that's the NRA also.As a matter of fact the only thing I've seen from the GOA is letters asking for money.If you want to support them,good do so but don't put them in the same league with the NRA,it's not even close. Steve

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well lets see.....the GOA was responsible for the complete upheavel of Congress in 1994...no,that was the NRA.The GOA was responsible for the defeat of Mike Synar(second only to Chuckie Schumer in his gun stance) by Tom Coburn.....no,that was the NRA.The GOA strikes fear into the hearts of political anti gunners......no that's the NRA also.As a matter of fact the only thing I've seen from the GOA is letters asking for money.If you want to support them,good do so but don't put them in the same league with the NRA,it's not even close. Steve
I'm still kinda unclear,should I pencil you in for a yes,or no the picketing?:rollingla

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
David Codrea, an NRA member and active gun rights columnist, said the NRA likely believes the legal fight is a losing one, and understands the high-profile group doesn't want to give its anti-gun opponents ammunition by taking on a high-profile loss.

Funny thing about fear of those "losses". You'll never win unless you pull the trigger. Though you might not hit the bullseye with the first shot or get a first round knockdown, you do damage to the target. I'd just as soon win with overwhelming fire as with one perfect bullseye.

We're not so weak and in not such a precarious position that a few superficial wounds on the enemy are wasted shots. Sometimes those pesky grazes can keep one's opponent tied up and ineffective for a time while you take better aim.

The NRA should fire away. At the least, it'll show the hoi polloi(that's us) that we're getting something for our money.

Woody

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe both the NRA and GOA see past the myths of the great 1994 Revolution. There were many reasons past one voting issue involved in the afore named events.

Look at our opinions on child support, male chavanism, open carry, ahhh do I need go on?

The NRA has NEVER been on 'our side'. It has been, from time to time, capable of presenting the appearance of huge conservative voter base ready to vote as the Talking NRA Head demands.

But truth is the base isnt robotic on only one issue. onething a good General learns quickly is not risk battle unless you are sure to win. Pick good ground, have good intel, highly modivated troops, concentration of forces and a fragmented enemy.

This issue doesnt have good ground, intel leans away from success, there is no mass of voters willing to charge the barbed wire and machineguns, and the enemy is well dug in. I doubt the NRA, GOA, Palin herself as Lady Godiva can carry the day.

It is a bit odd that those who pride themselves on some individual myth, an attempt to wrap themselves in the rugged western frontiersman constantly calls for others to do for them so they can continue comfortable lives and selfish individual pursuit of happiness.

I'm not slagging you guys, just wish we would get serious about life and not just whine and rant for someone else to bear any burden and pay any cost.

How many did that April 19th thing? What was it called again? Might be a good time to stop sending our money in instead of stepping up.

I know, what am I thinking, its our Gawd Given right to not be bothered. We hire that work out.

I have a crazy idea, next rally/protest/march lets hire mexicans, they are alot more willing to exert more effort than an Email! Perhaps its a good thing they havent assimulated, nothing would get done past a 30% voter turnout.

Forgive me you hearty patriots, I have been out in the sun today, not my usual perky self.

But perhaps we could stop expecting others to act in our best interest, my past experience tends toward men in very expensive suits rarely have my best interest at heart.

Your experiences could be different.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The GOA were the ones rolling over with the FOPA86, nope that was the NRA. The NRA is duking it out with Chuck Schumer right now, nope that's the GOA. The GOA gave "Gun Show Loophole" McCain a C+ on guns, nope that was the NRA. The GOA gave him an F, just like Obama. The GOA backed a governor who banned open carry in an effort to disarm black people, nope that was the NRA.

GOA won a huge victory on June 26, 2008, when the U.S. Supreme Court rendered its decision in District of Columbia v. Heller. They ruled in favor of plaintiff Dick Heller and struck down the Washington, D.C. handgun ban. This gave the plaintiff Dick Heller the ability to now apply for a handgun license while living in Washington DC. The ruling also took out any restrictions on forcing guns to have trigger locks on them; citing that "self defense is a protected right envisioned by the [2nd] amendment."[12]

On June 6, 1995, GOA successfully helped in lobbying the House of Representatives to vote against the Moran Amendment, by a vote of 278 to 149. The Amendment would have banned .50 caliber weaponry from being licensed for export.[13]

On July 13, 2006, The Senator David Vitter (R-LA) got a sweeping victory by a vote of 84-16. His amendment declares that no federal money can be used for federal agents to confiscate weapons during a declared state of emergency. This bill was passed not even a year after the devastation in Vitter's home state from Hurricane Katrina. The GOA consider this a sizable win for pro-gun activists.[14]

On June 27, 2007, GOA recorded a victory by getting the Pence Amendment passed. The bill, named after Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN), was passed by a vote of 309-115. According to GOA the amendment would have allowed the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to radically limit the speech allowed by organizations like GOA over the airwaves.[15]

On August 9, 2007, GOA received another huge win in congress. Sen. Vitter once again pushed through a bill stating that no US funds can be used by the United Nations or any group affiliated with the United Nations to restrict or tax the 2nd Amendment rights. If they attempt to do so, the US can rightfully pull out all of their funds from the organization. This bill, HR-2764, passed with an 81-10 vote.[16]

On February 25, 2008, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) amended bill S-1200, The Indian Health Care Improvement Act. In the Act, the wording stated that the funds were to be used for "violence prevention". Once the funds were attempted to be used for gun buy-backs and other such anti-firearm policies, Sen. DeMint pushed through an amendment to the Act stating that the money cannot be used for any anti-gun programs. The bill passed by a margin of 78-11

The NRA, the only thing I get from them is endless email spam and phone calls. Two months after I got my first membership they sent me messages saying my membership was expiring, begging for more money.
So don't put the NRA near the GOA... the NRA needs to at least triple its efforts first before we can consider it.

Ridgerunner

Marksman
Reaction score
My.

The NRA and their feet of clay appear to be becoming revealed as the compromising gun controllers that they really ARE...just as Hesston was revealed a month after he took office and announced to a startled world that 'Citizens have no need of assault weapons'...

Holding up a hundred year old musket " 'From My Cold Dead Fingers'..as a cheering crowd of idolatry went crazy.....had he held up a FAL, a M1A1, A Garand...perhaps it would have meant something.

The crowd there didn't give a dang about anything except double barrel shotguns....

The evidence about the nra is out there...and they are no friend of the Second Amendment.
Nor, for that matter , are many gun owners..for many gun owners support gun control.
They trust government more then they trust their fellow man.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be Article III Sections one and two mostly...it's called "subject matter jurisdiction". The federal courts, the Supreme Court being the highest court in that system, have jurisdiction over Constitutional issues.

As for the analogy of not winning unless you pull the trigger; What about the concept of conserving your ammunition or being sure of your target and what lies behind it before you shoot?

The dems love wasting time on feel-good legislation, we don't need to copy them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom