OHP UNION thinks only LEO's should be allowed to carry weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that everyone is a threat until proven otherwise.............Too many people have died because they thought someone was a "good ol boy" and not a threat!

.....BUT, I will also treat everyone with respect, professionalism, and courtesy as long as they return the favor.

Word.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then you don't believe that Constitutional = American.

You are correct.

I believe there is more to being an American than the constitution and I also believe that the ideas expressed in the constitution are not uniquely American given that the concept of humans being endowed by their creator with life and liberty were not first uttered in the United States.

Your comment also belies your intentions which is to paint anyone who doesn't believe the same as you as un-American, which I believe to be a pretty weak tactic.

Michael Brown

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. OSTA does not solicit from anyone except Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troopers, and that is less of a "hey, do you wanna?" and more like a "this is going to be automatically removed from your check every month, because if you are a Trooper, you are a member of OSTA."

Thank you for playing ...

Ummmmm...

That's not true. Oklahoma has been an open shop state for - what? - 5 years or so? One cannot be compelled to join a union to accept employment nor can dues be involuntarily garnished from a paycheck. At least that's how open shop is supposed to work. Maybe OK's law is different but somehow I doubt it. Or maybe the open shop/right to work law doesn't apply to government employees and the unions that have organized them? NOW that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummmmm...

That's not true. Oklahoma has been an open shop state for - what? - 5 years or so? One cannot be compelled to join a union to accept employment nor can dues be involuntarily garnished from a paycheck. At least that's how open shop is supposed to work. Maybe OK's law is different but somehow I doubt it. Or maybe the open shop/right to work law doesn't apply to government employees and the unions that have organized them? NOW that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I think what BB is saying is that there is a lot of social pressure to join OSTA. Right to Work applies to government employees as well.

While I don't believe the social pressure for me to join the FOP is all that great, it did exist when I graduated from the academy.

I am an enthusiastic member of my union and don't much care about their opinions on anything except my rights as an employee and holding my employer accountable for breaking the law.

Michael Brown

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummmmm...

Sorry ... my wording was not good there ... it was the same way with the OPEA when I was a state employee ... You didn't "have" to join but there were ramifications to not being "in the club", however "unofficial" they might have been ...

I think what BB is saying is that there is a lot of social pressure to join OSTA. Right to Work applies to government employees as well.

While I don't believe the social pressure for me to join the FOP is all that great, it did exist when I graduated from the academy.

I am an enthusiastic member of my union and don't much care about their opinions on anything except my rights as an employee and holding my employer accountable for breaking the law.

Michael Brown

Michael, you are exactly right. The benefits that OSTA offer to GC very much outweigh any "problems" the official OSTA stance on open carry may cause him. However, the pressure to be one of the boys is immense ...

I am not a joiner ... never have been, probably never will be. GC, on the other hand, sees benefits to alignning himself with other like-minded individuals despite whatever differences they may have. One of the many, many things he and I agree to disagree on ... LOL I swear I have no idea what he sees in me, but I am eternally grateful he sees it. :o

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that everyone is a threat until proven otherwise.............Too many people have died because they thought someone was a "good ol boy" and not a threat!

.....BUT, I will also treat everyone with respect, professionalism, and courtesy as long as they return the favor.

Good Lord, I am not a cop and this is exactly how I feel about it. You get what you give with me, but I am pretty standoffish and careful until someone has proven to me they are trustworthy.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
let me get this straight????

I cannot legally open carry on my own property now????

because I do this everyday.... please advise....

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
let me get this straight????

I cannot legally open carry on my own property now????

because I do this everyday.... please advise....

You may open carry on your own property or that of your business provided it is not one of the exempted locations.

Michael Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom