OK bound (probably)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome, Doc! As others have said, Oklahoma is pretty laid-back. We don't have permitless open carry like Ohio, but we've had concealed carry longer, and we have reciprocity with the Buckeye State. Actually, we honor any permit, period; it took me a bit of explaining to get OSBI and the Ohio AG talking about reciprocity, because Oklahoma didn't quite understand the concept of needing to agree on it; we just honor as a matter of law.

Whereabouts are you from? I grew up in Centerville.

TheLlama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, it is required that every Oklahoma resident own at least three firearms. If you live outside city limits, you must also own at least two dogs, and three vehicles. One of the vehicles needs to run. If your pickup truck (mandatory) is older than 25 years, it must be outfitted with a gun rack. If you have a concealed carry permit, you may also open carry. If you get robbed and get the perp on the ground, check to see if there are cameras rolling before finishing him off. Have you purchased cowboy boots yet?

This is most excellent. And pretty much sums it all up.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the laws are pretty straight forward. Oklahoma also honors the Castle Doctrine, so no worries about having to protect you and yours'. Expect people to randomly wave at you while you drive down the road. They're not trying to pull you over, just saying hello. As for LE within the state. It has been my experience they they actually know very little about what the law actually is. But overall are pretty laid back.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, it is required that every Oklahoma resident own at least three firearms. If you live outside city limits, you must also own at least two dogs, and three vehicles. One of the vehicles needs to run. If your pickup truck (mandatory) is older than 25 years, it must be outfitted with a gun rack. If you have a concealed carry permit, you may also open carry. If you get robbed and get the perp on the ground, check to see if there are cameras rolling before finishing him off. Have you purchased cowboy boots yet?

One of your other two vehicles to be up on blocks in the front yard. Also on that car you must have at least 3 different colored quarter panels.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm inbound as well! Great timing on this thread, Doc! My wife just got transferred to OKC, so now I'm stuck selling the house and looking for a gig there for myself. (Public Policy, Security Management, Poli Sci Prof, Street Mime)

Okay, let's see. . .
  • At least three firearms - You mean in total, or on me at any given time? Check. :gun2:
  • At least two dogs - Check. (Strangely enough, they are Oklahoma natives. We have a pair of Akitas from a breeder in Tulsa!
  • One of which must be a pickup - Check.
  • At least three vehicles - Hmmm. Planning on selling the boat and replacing it later. Maybe the lawnmower will count until then. . .
  • Cowboy boots - Check.

I believe my WA CPL willl cover me until my OK one comes through. I look forward to getting to know you all. (Okay, MOST of you!)

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm inbound as well! Great timing on this thread, Doc! My wife just got transferred to OKC, so now I'm stuck selling the house and looking for a gig there for myself. (Public Policy, Security Management, Poli Sci Prof, Street Mime)

Okay, let's see. . .
  • At least three firearms - You mean in total, or on me at any given time? Check. :gun2:
  • At least two dogs - Check. (Strangely enough, they are Oklahoma natives. We have a pair of Akitas from a breeder in Tulsa!
  • One of which must be a pickup - Check.
  • At least three vehicles - Hmmm. Planning on selling the boat and replacing it later. Maybe the lawnmower will count until then. . .
  • Cowboy boots - Check.

I believe my WA CPL willl cover me until my OK one comes through. I look forward to getting to know you all. (Okay, MOST of you!)

Well, Pritch. In that case, allow me to offer you a "welcome in advance." Now, we'll have to wait and see if the college prof allows you to qualify in this state as many of them in Norman are quite liberal.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now in all seriousness if you get stopped by any law enforcement officer while carrying concealed you must FIRST notify them that you have a permit and are carrying.

On a second note I grew up in Colorado Springs and thought Oklahoma was for people that didn't know any better. I was stationed here at Altus AFB in June of 1991, 22 years ago. My daughter started kindergarten in a country school that same year. I discovered there is not a better place to raise children. I also thought there were no deer here and I would have to go to Colorado to do any decent hunting. Boy was I wrong. I now own 400 acres of my own hunting land and see more deer and turkey here then I ever saw in Colorado. The price of that land made it possible where I never could have afforded that kind of land in Colorado. The same with our house in the country. I can shoot from my front porch.

Welcome to Oklahoma be safe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now in all seriousness if you get stopped by any law enforcement officer while carrying concealed you must FIRST notify them that you have a permit and are carrying.

Welcome to Oklahoma be safe.

With the new law, you must notify at the first available opportunity. It doesn't 'require the first words out of your mouth to notify like the old law

Latest posts

Top Bottom