Oklahoma House Resurrects Bill To Arm School Teachers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.news9.com/story/22078022/oklahoma-house-resurrects-bill-to-arm-school-teachers

OKLAHOMA CITY -
A plan to allow specially trained armed teachers in public school classrooms has been resurrected in the Oklahoma House.

The author of the proposal, Sapulpa Republican Rep. Mark McCullough, attached the proposal as an amendment Thursday to a separate bill. The House voted 47-24 to accept the amendment.

McCullough has pushed the idea of allowing teachers and other school employees to bring weapons into schools if they receive specialized training from the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training.

The House earlier this session voted 68-23 for the bill, but the chairman of the Senate Education Committee declined to hear it. Bartlesville Republican Sen. John Ford said at the time he deferred to the recommendations of a school safety task force formed in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're quick on the post on this -- I was headed over here with the Tulsa World story and saw this. Glad to see it!!

Now awaiting opinions from those in the know about whether this stands a chance in the Senate since it doesn't have to go back to committee. I lean toward saying this is dead because the other senators don't want to irritate the committee chairman that shot it down previously.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bartlesville Republican Sen. John Ford said at the time he deferred to the recommendations of a school safety task force formed in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting.

At the end of the day, you, Republican Senator John Ford, work for me. . .not a "school safety task force" . .which means you do what I tell you. It's not really relevant what you think, feel, or hear from "experts". . .what matters is what I want.

"I" and "me" are used in the generic sense, meaning "the constituents."

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most people agree that a teacher with appropriate CLEET training today is a better solution than waiting on some committee of politicians banter back and forth for 3 or 4 years.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most people agree that a teacher with appropriate CLEET training today is a better solution than waiting on some committee of politicians banter back and forth for 3 or 4 years.

That CLEET training bit was a big part of the objection to the earlier bill since some said the full reserve officer training originally proposed was too much (and I agreed) and the revised amount was too little. With the preponderance of the nanny-state mentality today, I suppose some training will be a necessary part of this and I've advocated for the CLEET Armed Security Guard curriculum to be the nucleus of the course at a very manageable 44 hours and 400 rounds.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That CLEET training bit was a big part of the objection to the earlier bill since some said the full reserve officer training originally proposed was too much (and I agreed) and the revised amount was too little. With the preponderance of the nanny-state mentality today, I suppose some training will be a necessary part of this and I've advocated for the CLEET Armed Security Guard curriculum to be the nucleus of the course at a very manageable 44 hours and 400 rounds.

Well if it's enough for the guys packing right now on this campus it should be enough for any other employees here.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I'm glad to see this. It means not only the people are still pushing for it but some politicians as well. This is a good thing & I'm all about taking measures to increase our abilities to protect ourselves & others from being victims as long as it extends our rights to such things, not hinders them.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CLEET certification is absurd for teachers. It's nice that the bill is resurrected, but who is going to bother? Teachers shouldn't be free security guards for the schools. They should be able to protect themselves the same as the rest of us. At current, they can't even leave their guns in their cars unless they park off site, which is ridiculous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom