One day black bear season....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Billed as a conservative season by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, the archery-only hunt opened Oct. 1 and ends the day the 20th bear is killed. It is open only in Le Flore, Latimer, McCurtain and Pushmataha counties. Last year, the season was open a full month, with a total of 19 bears killed.

“We knew it could happen,” said Joe Hemphill, southeast regional supervisor for the wildlife department. “We didn’t have as many acorns as last year. That could have something to do with it. The other thing is people using crossbows instead of compounds. Twenty-two of them were killed with crossbows.”

A crossbow can be an advantage because the hunter has to move less to pull off a shot, he said.

Think it will affect Deer in the same way??? I think so...This is why they should have a 2 week season just like gun... its real easy to kill things when your bow is at full draw all day long.....

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=25&articleid=20101002_25_0_Oklaho452998

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're missing the big picture here. The wildlife department wants all hunters to kill as many does as possible. The other reason for the new crossbow allowance is to sell more tags. That is what happens when a state department gets all of it's funding from the people it regulates. The more tags sold the more money for the department. I think they will eventually extend the doe season through January and charge an additional fee for that season.call it the January doe season by any method(gun,ml, archery)

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think it will affect Deer in the same way??? I think so...This is why they should have a 2 week season just like gun... its real easy to kill things when your bow is at full draw all day long.....

No, I don't.

Have you ever hunted with a crossbow??

Have you looked at harvest statistics in states that have allowed crossbow use for many years??

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know they are.. I dont really care. All im saying is they should have there own season.... The only numbers I need are listed in that link I posted... First bear season.... 19 bears over a month.... First year with xbow.. One day season, 22 kills with x bows. Come one.. what other number do you need... Its great getting more people in the woods.. Im all for that.. But giving a clear advantage to one group over another is not fair.. Whats the advantage??? Lets see, keeping your bow at full draw all day long is the biggest I can see. Hell that I could knock down lots more deer if my matthews didnt make me draw every time one starts coming closer..

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell that I could knock down lots more deer if my matthews didnt make me draw every time one starts coming closer..

Then buy a damn crossbow. I don't understand the prejudice against crossbow hunters. They are legal for you to use as well. It's not like only new hunters can use them, every bowhunter can switch if they like. And it's not as easy as gun hunting. you still have to have them in range. Good lord you guys act like we are taking your season away.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember right, there were alot of traditional muzzle loader hunters where were pissed when the inlines started popping up.

Muzzleloaders with the balistics of a highpower rifle havent elimiated the deer population and I highly doubt that crossbow will either.

I am not a crossbow hunter, simply a wanna be bow hunter who is jealous of those who get to be out there early, regardless of what you are toting.

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Billed as a conservative season by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, the archery-only hunt opened Oct. 1 and ends the day the 20th bear is killed. It is open only in Le Flore, Latimer, McCurtain and Pushmataha counties. Last year, the season was open a full month, with a total of 19 bears killed.

“We knew it could happen,” said Joe Hemphill, southeast regional supervisor for the wildlife department. “We didn’t have as many acorns as last year. That could have something to do with it. The other thing is people using crossbows instead of compounds. Twenty-two of them were killed with crossbows.”

A crossbow can be an advantage because the hunter has to move less to pull off a shot, he said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=25&articleid=20101002_25_0_Oklaho452998

Are you a hunter or part of PETA? Do you think that the x-bow had everything to do with it or is that the people hunting learned a bit from last year and where able to get closer to the bear. Were is the stastic of how many hunters last year seen bear and missed them or where busted by them. Not having to pull back a bow is and advantage but so is being off the ground 20' with a bait pile within 20 yards is as well. I think you need to look at all the aspects before calling out a whole group of people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom