OSU Concealed Carry Policies Under Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the point about the IFF thing, BUT someone on a shooting rampage and someone tracking down said idiot to stop them can be distinguished... I would also think that the responding Officers might want to use a little more discernment when they are looking for the shooter as to not accidentally shoot the innocents in the building...

I used it in Iraq to great success... Pretty sure a Officer can do the same... Just sayin'...

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't carry on the property, unless it is set aside for vehicle traffic or parking.

TITLE 21 § 1277 D.

Well that's a bummer. Looks like we'll have to talk to our elected officials and see if we can change that. All that restrictive law does is make a mass shooting ground for an armed psycho. Hundreds of unarmed people in one location, aka sitting ducks.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I understand the point about the IFF thing, BUT someone on a shooting rampage and someone tracking down said idiot to stop them can be distinguished... I would also think that the responding Officers might want to use a little more discernment when they are looking for the shooter as to not accidentally shoot the innocents in the building...

I used it in Iraq to great success... Pretty sure a Officer can do the same... Just sayin'...

Like I said, the only way that would really be an issue, is if they happened on the scene at the same time I was shooting the BG, making it seem as if I was the shooter.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... Although I've been told otherwise by the head if a local campus, but she didn't know what she was talking about...

She told me she was adamantly against carry on campus as were the local police because they think it would be ultimately more dangerous?!? Also that the PD wouldn't be able to distinguish between the Active Shooter and the CCW holder... Idiot...

I went to an "active shooter seminar" at OSU-OKC and it was a [fairly] decent program BUT the thing that stood out to me was when I asked the head of security why they aren't armed and she said "We haven't ever had any need to be"

Very disappointing.

EDIT: Concealed Carry on Campus is one the most important things we need to change about the SDA, in my opinion.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't LEO train to expect armed good guys and armed bad guys when responding to an active shooter call? They've got to be expecting under cover and off duty LEO to be around.

I'm not a LEO so I can't and won't talk for them, but I would assume that would be part of their trainning. Like NikatKimber said, the LEO would have to come in at just the right time to see the CCL person shooting the BG and mistake him for the BG. I served overseas with a few police officers in my unit, and they were able to distinguish with no problem. I may not like/agree with certain laws, but I have always had faith, and will continue to have faith, in our LEO's to be trustworthy and have excellent decision making abilities. On the other hand, I've met a few security guards that were, um, yeah...

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.....EDIT: Concealed Carry on Campus is one the most important things we need to change about the SDA, in my opinion.

^^^THIS^^^

With so many friends and loved ones that go locally I would feel horrible if something happened and I didn't intervene... Sucks that in a given situation I would have to run to my vehicle (if I'm not injured or blocked off by that point) to retrieve my weapon rather than react instantly...

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^THIS^^^

With so many friends and loved ones that go locally I would feel horrible if something happened and I didn't intervene... Sucks that in a given situation I would have to run to my vehicle (if I'm not injured or blocked off by that point) to retrieve my weapon rather than react instantly...

Unfortunately, with our f***ed up legal system you would probably be prosecuted because you left the scene [to safety] and then returned. Some scum bag lawyer would say your life wasn't in danger any more until you chose to return.

Like I said, its f***ed up

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, with our f***ed up legal system you would probably be prosecuted because you left the scene [to safety] and then returned. Some scum bag lawyer would say your life wasn't in danger any more until you chose to return.

Like I said, its f***ed up

Sad, but you're probably right. That and since you're not allowed to keep it in your car on the property, they would hit you with that too.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MB, just in case this was towards me, my comment on leaving it with the campus police was in reference to having a gun in the dorms.

And actually, from my understanding of the law, you can carry on campus, just not in any of the buildings. I'll go read it again.

Not directed towards you.

However you could be right.

I simply believe it needs to be changed to allow lawfully armed students and faculty to carry to all places where it is not otherwise prohibited i.e. bars. I believe sporting events should allow carry.

Interestingly enough, I had a gun in my fraternity house all three years I lived there in New York (gasp!) but I was a non-drinker and nobody else knew I had it and my house was off-campus.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom