OSU Concealed Carry Policies Under Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought as long as you either had written permission from the Dean plus a ccl you could carry, or if you were active/veteran military with a ccl you could carry on campus. Also, aren't you allowed to store your weapon in your car (as long as you have a ccl) as well?

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought as long as you either had written permission from the Dean plus a ccl you could carry, or if you were active/veteran military with a ccl you could carry on campus. Also, aren't you allowed to store your weapon in your car (as long as you have a ccl) as well?

Yes.

However Hargis has made it perfectly clear that he will not be issuing permission to anyone who isn't a VIP in his opinion.

I think if you have to store your weapon with the campus police or leave it in the car, it kinda defeats the point of carrying.

Michael Brown

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes.

However Hargis has made it perfectly clear that he will not be issuing permission to anyone who isn't a VIP in his opinion.

I think if you have to store your weapon with the campus police or leave it in the car, it kinda defeats the point of carrying.Michael Brown

Ah I see. That does defeat the purpose. I guess we just have to wait and see what our newly (not sure on spelling) elected officials will do.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I thought as long as you either had written permission from the Dean plus a ccl you could carry,

Not the dean, the president of the university. Which in and of itself is wrong, since the president is neither a government official, nor elected.

or if you were active/veteran military with a ccl you could carry on campus. Also, aren't you allowed to store your weapon in your car (as long as you have a ccl) as well?

Not correct. There was a law proposed last year that would have allowed such, but Hargis was against that as well. I lost any respect I had for him when he opened his foolish mouth on that issue. The statement he made has to be one of the most oxymoron idiotic things I've ever heard.

Yes.

I think if you have to store your weapon with the campus police or leave it in the car, it kinda defeats the point of carrying.

Michael Brown

MB, just in case this was towards me, my comment on leaving it with the campus police was in reference to having a gun in the dorms.

And actually, from my understanding of the law, you can carry on campus, just not in any of the buildings. I'll go read it again.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not the dean, the president of the university. Which in and of itself is wrong, since the president is neither a government official, nor elected.

Not correct. There was a law proposed last year that would have allowed such, but Hargis was against that as well. I lost any respect I had for him when he opened his foolish mouth on that issue. The statement he made has to be one of the most oxymoron idiotic things I've ever heard.

MB, just in case this was towards me, my comment on leaving it with the campus police was in reference to having a gun in the dorms.

And actually, from my understanding of the law, you can carry on campus, just not in any of the buildings. I'll go read it again.

Ok, pres not dean.
I remember hearing that law proposal and just didn't keep up with it and thought it had passed.
I think you are correct on that last part. I'll have to go online and read the new version. I have an old copy of SDA from 2006.

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the SDA you are allowed to store it in your car... Although I've been told otherwise by the head if a local campus, but she didn't know what she was talking about...

She told me she was adamantly against carry on campus as were the local police because they think it would be ultimately more dangerous?!? Also that the PD wouldn't be able to distinguish between the Active Shooter and the CCW holder... Idiot...

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the SDA you are allowed to store it in your car... Although I've been told otherwise by the head if a local campus, but she didn't know what she was talking about...

She told me she was adamantly against carry on campus as were the local police because they think it would be ultimately more dangerous?!? Also that the PD wouldn't be able to distinguish between the Active Shooter and the CCW holder... Idiot...

That's the typical anti-carry on campus arguement. Simple logic is, a person trying to stop the shooter will be running towards the gun fire, while the active shooter will be causing the easily distinguished gun shot sound. Hope that came out right. My communication skills are lacking...lol

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't carry on the property, unless it is set aside for vehicle traffic or parking.

TITLE 21 § 1277 D.

D. No person in possession of any concealed handgun pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college or university property, except as provided in this
subsection. For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall not be construed as prohibited for persons having a valid concealed handgun license:
1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president while the vehicle is on any college or university property;
1. Any property authorized for possession or use of handguns by college or university policy; and
3. Any property authorized by the written consent of the college or university president, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid concealed handgun license while on college or university property.
The college or university may notify the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation within ten (10) days of a violation of any provision of this subsection by a licensee. Upon receipt of a written notification of violation, the Bureau shall give a reasonable notice to the licensee and hold a hearing. At the hearing upon a determination that the licensee has violated any provision of this subsection, the licensee may be subject to an administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) and may have the concealed handgun license suspended for three (3) months.
Nothing contained in any provision of this subsection shall be construed to authorize or allow any college or university to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person in lawful possession of a concealed handgun license from possession of a handgun allowable under such license in places described in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of this subsection. Nothing contained in any provision of this subsection shall be construed to limit the authority of any college or university in this state from taking administrative action against any student for any violation of any provision of this subsection.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

I've heard this before, and yes, they don't have a clue.

She told me she was adamantly against carry on campus as were the local police because they think it would be ultimately more dangerous?!?

This is oft repeated, but has no basis; as you know. Sure it'll be more dangerous, just like allowing CHL will result in bloodbath OK Corral scenarios. Riiiiiight.....

Also that the PD wouldn't be able to distinguish between the Active Shooter and the CCW holder... Idiot...

This, is a valid point actually. And the best answer is "that is a risk I as a CHL holder am willing to take." The only chance this has of occurring, is if the LEOs burst through the door at the precise time that I (the CHL holder) am shooting the BG.

Unless there were more than one shooters, after the threat is stopped, I will reholster. Thus, if the LEOs come in after that, I will not be seen as the threat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom