OSU Concealed Carry Policies Under Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You willing to bet your life on that?

I don't see where you have much of a choice.:anyone:

Like Nikat is saying, I'll take my chances (and have) with the police rather than a homicidal suspect.

Train, be armed, be careful and hope for the best. That's about all you can do anytime.

Michael Brown

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Like Nikat is saying, I'll take my chances (and have) with the police rather than a homicidal suspect.

Train, be armed, be careful and hope for the best. That's about all you can do anytime.

Michael Brown

Absolutely... This is all any of us can do... Prepare for the worst & hope for the best...

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Michael Brown

+1
I'd rather take action and defend myself/others than let some psycho have his way. If there's a chance a LEO will mistake me for the BG, I'll take the risk and do my best to identify myself so he/she doesn't shoot me instead. But I will NOT sit there and let the BG do whatever just because the police might mistake me! I'd rather die as a fighter than live as a victim!

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In EVERY active shooter incident in the USA, no one else has been killed or injured (other than the active shooter) once they have been confronted by ARMED RESPONSE. In most cases they have killed themselves, i a few been taken out by the armed responders, but in any case the violence stopped when they were confronted.
Those eligible for an SDA license should be allowed to carry on campus, to class, and pretty much everywhere they go. Be prepared to identify yourself and "surrender" (until you are clearly identified) as soon as you see a LEO.
I am not opposed to carry on campus and I have not found ANY other LEOs that are! I am sure there are a few out there but around Oklahoma that would be very few. I carry a badge and a gun everywhere I go and I expect my subordinates to do the same.
Keep harrassing your state legislators to get this law changed.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LE have no reason to EXPECT armed good guys at an active shooter call.

It is a POSSIBILITY and something that will be considered but it is much more incumbant on an unidentifiable armed person to make themselves an obvious non-threat to LE than it is incumbant on LE to expect an armed good guy.

Each party bears some level of responsibility but when I am in plainclothes and armed, I bear the burden of identifying myself and never assume the responding officers will be able to identify me.

I have worked several assignments where I was temporarily unidentifiable to uniformed officers and I can advise that it is freaking nerve-wracking.

I have also responded to plainclothes officers in a struggle with suspects and have slammed the officer nto recognizing who he was so even with almost two decades of experience, I can tell you it's not always obvious who is who.

All I can say is be armed and be careful.

Michael Brown

I dont always agree with Micheal Brown but in this case I do. Too many people seem to think that the Police that respond to an active shooter or any other crime in progress will be able to tell the good guy with the gun from the bad guy with the gun. I think it gets lost on this board sometimes that the best option you have for your survival is using your brain to find the nearest exit for you and anyone you are with.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the facts are in favor of concealed carry on college campuses. But there is strong resistance from campus administrators and anyone fearful of concealed carry in general. Here are some ideas to consider:

A portion of any college faculty and administration either do not believe that evil exists or that somehow it is dispelled by education. These same people do not believe there should be a military. I think they are a minority but they can be vocal and influential.

Secondly, college administrators spend a large portion of their time dealing with immature or mentally unstable students and staff. Many administrators have probably received death threats. The idea that some of these unstable people might be legally armed is a very frightening thought for them. Will such people be able to get a concealed carry permit or even want to get one? I don't know but a college administrator will want to play it safe and not allow it. Will a person who is stable and gets a concealed carry permit unexpectedly become unstable and dangerous under finals pressure or job stress? What administrator wants to tell someone that they are expelled or fired and perhaps have that person pull out a handgun? I think there are good rebuttals to these fears but they are still real.

All college administrators need do is take a legislator over to the side and tell them in a hushed voice about some of the crazy people they have to handle and then plead with the legislator not to allow concealed carry on their campus.

Campus security chiefs will always say they can handle anything. But I think Virginia Tech proved otherwise.

As Nikat pointed out, it is much better to use the term, "responsible adult" instead of "student" because "college student" brings to mind an irresponsible, immature person.

"Responsible adults (21+) can carry concealed after being trained and passing a rigorous background check. Why not on campus?"

Latest posts

Top Bottom