OSU Concealed Carry Policies Under Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not directed towards you.

However you could be right.

I simply believe it needs to be changed to allow lawfully armed students and faculty to carry to all places where it is not otherwise prohibited i.e. bars. I believe sporting events should allow carry.Interestingly enough, I had a gun in my fraternity house all three years I lived there in New York (gasp!) but I was a non-drinker and nobody else knew I had it and my house was off-campus.

Michael Brown

+1 on the sporting events.
Yeah, you were a brave man having a pistol in New York. Not the most gun friendly place as we all know. lol

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't LEO train to expect armed good guys and armed bad guys when responding to an active shooter call? They've got to be expecting under cover and off duty LEO to be around.

LE have no reason to EXPECT armed good guys at an active shooter call.

It is a POSSIBILITY and something that will be considered but it is much more incumbant on an unidentifiable armed person to make themselves an obvious non-threat to LE than it is incumbant on LE to expect an armed good guy.

Each party bears some level of responsibility but when I am in plainclothes and armed, I bear the burden of identifying myself and never assume the responding officers will be able to identify me.

I have worked several assignments where I was temporarily unidentifiable to uniformed officers and I can advise that it is freaking nerve-wracking.

I have also responded to plainclothes officers in a struggle with suspects and have slammed the officer nto recognizing who he was so even with almost two decades of experience, I can tell you it's not always obvious who is who.

All I can say is be armed and be careful.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, you were a brave man having a pistol in New York. Not the most gun friendly place as we all know. lol

The part of New York I was in was very gun friendly.

A lot of folks that I shot with had CCW's.

It's really only the area around the city that is anti-gun.

In fact, a local cop was the one who helped shape my current attitude toward going armed. He once saw me with a sap when I was bouncing at a local bar and told me "You gotta be f*ckin stupid to do this job with a sap. Get a f*ckin gun and get over it."

Michael Brown

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The part of New York I was in was very gun friendly.

A lot of folks that I shot with had CCW's.

It's really only the area around the city that is anti-gun.

In fact, a local cop was the one who helped shape my current attitude toward going armed. He once saw me with a sap when I was bouncing at a local bar and told me "You gotta be f*ckin stupid to do this job with a sap. Get a f*ckin gun and get over it."

Michael Brown

Good to hear parts of NY are gun friendly! Question for my ignorance: what is a sap?

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.. it is much more incumbant on an unidentifiable armed person to make themselves an obvious non-threat to LE than it is incumbant on LE to expect an armed good guy.

....it's not always obvious who is who.

Michael Brown

Words of wisdom from MB.

When LE comes to an active shooter scene the tension is already VERY HIGH and you don't want to be even REMOTELY considered the BG.

One thing the seminar talked about on this point was when LE arrives on the scene don't run up to them waving your arms or trying to hug them (their example) just remain stationary and wait for them to tell you what to do.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
LE have no reason to EXPECT armed good guys at an active shooter call.

It is a POSSIBILITY and something that will be considered but it is much more incumbant on an unidentifiable armed person to make themselves an obvious non-threat to LE than it is incumbant on LE to expect an armed good guy.

Each party bears some level of responsibility but when I am in plainclothes and armed, I bear the burden of identifying myself and never assume the responding officers will be able to identify me.

I have worked several assignments where I was temporarily unidentifiable to uniformed officers and I can advise that it is freaking nerve-wracking.

I have also responded to plainclothes officers in a struggle with suspects and have slammed the officer nto recognizing who he was so even with almost two decades of experience, I can tell you it's not always obvious who is who.

Michael Brown

Hence my reply that it's a risk I'm willing to take by being the good guy.

There is a risk, however small it is, that I may get mistaken for the bad guy. I know that, and am willing to take that risk. The other option is not be the good guy, and let the bad guy have his way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom