Pickled eggs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't use pickling spice. Vary quantities of this to your liking. Need a gallon jar.

3 dozen hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 quart distilled white vinegar
1 sliced onion
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 tablespoon black pepper
6-10 cloves garlic
16 oz. jar of jalapeños - juice only
3-4 fresh jalapeños sliced
4-6 splashes hot sauce, or more if you want more kick

The jalapeño slices are fantastic.

I whipped up a batch this morning with a few additions. I added beets for the red color, and traditional sweet taste I remember when dad and I would nab pickled eggs from those giant jars in truckstops. I also threw in a whole head of garlic, each clove left whole. I am excited for 2 weeks to come and go. Thanks for the recipe. If the beet I ate is any indicator of what this will be, it is going to be just great. Thanks again, I have been looking for a good recipe that didn't use gobs of sugar.

Last edited:

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried my pickled egg tonight that sat for about 12 days or so in Claussen Hot n Spicy pickle juice. It was my first pickled egg and it was surprisingly good. I'm going to follow Dustin's recipe to make make an entire batch now. If the first one was great out of old pickle juice, these made from a fresh brine should be even better. I can't wait!

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I whipped up a batch this morning with a few additions. I added beets for the red color, and traditional sweet taste I remember when dad and I would nab pickled eggs from those giant jars in truckstops. I also threw in a whole head of garlic, each clove left whole. I am excited for 2 weeks to come and go. Thanks for the recipe. If the beet I ate is any indicator of what this will be, it is going to be just great. Thanks again, I have been looking for a good recipe that didn't use gobs of sugar.

The beet juice that I added has allowed me to view the penetration into the egg, and will help denote a minimum day range for full penetration of pickling love. I am at about 10 days, and have penetration, marked by a pink, purple color, through all of the whites, and about an eighth of an inch into the yolk. They taste great, but the yolk hasn't hardened up as much as I would like yet.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do kind of dry up though, or at least their texture changes, right? anyway, they haven't taken the full color yet. I would say 10 days, as you said, is on the low end of done-ness.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to say.... when you reach for your salt shaker to put a little on one of your eggs as you're perusing OSA and almost end up pouring very nice Scotch on your pickled egg instead, it means one of a couple of things.

1. You have had enough Scotch.

2. You have had not nearly enough Scotch.

4... wait, wehat????

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad this floated back to the top. I need to re-gear my focus back to some eggs.

Any one tried the eggs at Philippe's in L.A.?

Latest posts

Top Bottom