Pickled eggs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised, they don't seem to have too much effect on me in terms of gas production. And no, I don't make so much already it's hard to tell, lol.

I've gone through two batches now, gave a few away, but most of 'em have been all me. :D

Gonna probably put in another batch today/tonight with the beets and and another batch with the carrots, as suggested. Got two jars, might as well keep 'em both stocked up, right? :D

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made my first batch last night. Never had a pickled egg but why not try my own?

Just water, vinegar, salt, and cayenne in to start. Worst parts was peeling the eggs. Fresh natural eggs are terrible to peel. I think I got 15 good ones out of 23 boiled eggs :/

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad this floated back to the top. I need to re-gear my focus back to some eggs.

Any one tried the eggs at Philippe's in L.A.?

Never the eggs but their horseradish is ridiculously hot. And good. I will try the eggs next time I am out that way.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so for those who have done the beets.... did you do the jalapenos with them? I am just not sure about "spicy" pickled beets. If you say it's good, I'll go for it. I just bought enough to do 2 large jars, one with beets and one with carrots (didn't think those two would go together all that well). WalMart didn't have any fresh jalapenos, and my previous two exercises with canned/jarred jalapenos were a little disappointing. So I picked up some fresh serrano peppers, which are a bit hotter than jalapenos, according to the Scoville scale. I am not sure how many to use, though... they are about 1 1/2 - 2" long apiece. I got maybe a dozen or so for the two jars. I figured I'd chop the tops and then split 'em down the center longways and just throw 'em in like that.

So... last batch had most of the juice and about 2/3 of the peppers from a 16 oz jar. You think a half-dozen or so serranos will equate to that or surpass it? I found them only mildly spicy, and the one guy I shared them with agreed they needed more heat.

Pipe in, picklers!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't tried any beets yet. Just got my first batch going tonight and pretty much followed Dustin's recipe. I did load it pretty good with garlic 'cause I love the stuff.

Next batch I do will have celery, cauliflower, and carrots.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so for those who have done the beets.... did you do the jalapenos with them? I am just not sure about "spicy" pickled beets. If you say it's good, I'll go for it. I just bought enough to do 2 large jars, one with beets and one with carrots (didn't think those two would go together all that well). WalMart didn't have any fresh jalapenos, and my previous two exercises with canned/jarred jalapenos were a little disappointing. So I picked up some fresh serrano peppers, which are a bit hotter than jalapenos, according to the Scoville scale. I am not sure how many to use, though... they are about 1 1/2 - 2" long apiece. I got maybe a dozen or so for the two jars. I figured I'd chop the tops and then split 'em down the center longways and just throw 'em in like that.

So... last batch had most of the juice and about 2/3 of the peppers from a 16 oz jar. You think a half-dozen or so serranos will equate to that or surpass it? I found them only mildly spicy, and the one guy I shared them with agreed they needed more heat.

Pipe in, picklers!

Yep. Just through them in with the peppers too. The beets bring the sweet, the peppers bring the heat

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So last month i shoved 7 eggs into a jar of Claussen pickles juice. Just tried the first one.

It sucks. After easter ill try something different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom