Racoon Population

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haha, the state of OK removed trapping restrictions and limits years ago............and they are still like flies. Between me and my friends I bet we've trapped over a thousand in the last three or four years. I've caught a 138 of them off of just one deer feeder this calendar year, and I've trapped that place for about five years now lol.
What kind of traps?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What kind of traps?

Mostly Z-traps and Duke coon cuffs.
865509050505746-90-3-10122024072350-W1014680.JPG

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
last year we set out one of those live traps (where a door closes behind them) to try and catch some darn armadillos that were ripping up the yard. In a weeks time we ended up with something like 8-9 dillers, two skunks, 3-4 coons, 3-4 possums and one orange tabby named Milo (neighbor’s). He had the most indignant look on his face when I let him go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful what you ask for:
You beat me to it :)
Do you really think someone, or some group would spend $20 in feed to raise a coon for a $1 bounty?
I don't believe the cobra effect even comes close to applying, but some deer hunter that is trying to keep them off the feeder would sure like a little return on their corn investment by turning in a tail since they can't grow a new one.
Coons are like coyotes, you can never trap them off the earth, but one can control the population by trapping. With incentives, they may trap more.
They weren't worth a trip to the fur buyer back when they were paying $3-$5 but when a couple bobcats were included it was worth taking them home, putting in the freezer and taking to the fur buyer when getting enough to pay for gas money. That's all we looked at them for...gas money to get the money fur.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you really think someone, or some group would spend $20 in feed to raise a coon for a $1 bounty?
I don't believe the cobra effect even comes close to applying, but some deer hunter that is trying to keep them off the feeder would sure like a little return on their corn investment by turning in a tail since they can't grow a new one.
Coons are like coyotes, you can never trap them off the earth, but one can control the population by trapping. With incentives, they may trap more.
They weren't worth a trip to the fur buyer back when they were paying $3-$5 but when a couple bobcats were included it was worth taking them home, putting in the freezer and taking to the fur buyer when getting enough to pay for gas money. That's all we looked at them for...gas money to get the money fur.
Yep, because slot machines, the lottery, etc exist… is proof a lot of people are really bad at math.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Blame it on PETA and libturds, destroying the fur trade.
My college days, back in mid '70s, we got our beer money from coon hides. A good hide would bring $20. We could make $100 - $200 a weekend.
Huge drop in fur price thanks to Carter in the late 70's. China has always been the primary buyer of north American coons, then a few years ago they started raising their own. We were still making $5-$10 a coon whole frozen just 10y ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom