RIA vs SA 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
debating on getting a RIA tactical or a Springfield Range Officer - difference is around $2-300. love springfield however i have heard great things about the ria 1911's tacticals. any suggestions/opinions on choosing between the two?

The only difference in the two is the name and the price. I have an RIA tactical that is the best 1911 I have ever held and fired.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only difference in the two is the name and the price. I have an RIA tactical that is the best 1911 I have ever held and fired.

Can you provide some details on how they are the same? Being the same design does not mean the same QC or parts are used. I have had both, and they are most defintely not the same. I liked both of them, they both shot well, but as to saying the only difference is the name and price, I would like some supporting info on that.

In that line of thinking, the RIA pump shotgun is the same as the Remington 870, the only difference is the name and price?

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you provide some details on how they are the same? Being the same design does not mean the same QC or parts are used. I have had both, and they are most defintely not the same. I liked both of them, they both shot well, but as to saying the only difference is the name and price, I would like some supporting info on that.

In that line of thinking, the RIA pump shotgun is the same as the Remington 870, the only difference is the name and price?

I agree with that statement. A 12 guage is a 12 guage in my book.

As for the rest they are all designed and built from John Browning/Colts original work. You can get a crappy SA and a REALLY nice RIA. My RIA is REALLY nice. I have an SA 1911, and I have my RIA, and the RIA is a better feeling shooter in my hand. It's all about personal opinion, BUT IMHO the gun that feels the best and shoots the best for you is the gun you wanna own/carry/use. Here's the problem... More money/more expensive does not always mean better quality. There seems to be a pervasive attitude in the gun community that you have to spend rediculous money on a handgun, ar15, ak and so forth or it is not quality. Tha tis the reason Gunworld and Rijas are able to stay in business. They screw the under-informed!!!! I still say a I like my RIA Tactical better and for the price I can afford another one. I can't say I'll be able to afford the extra SA anytime soon.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a f-ing joke.
a rock island isnt in the same class or grade as a springfield ro.

This. There is no comparison. SA is the better gun, better frame and slide, better small parts, and an overall better company.

I will second that if you don't plan on shooting much then a RIA may serve you just as well.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for the rest they are all designed and built from John Browning/Colts original work. .

So by your theory..... a Llama is equal to a Wilson combat? Sorry but that's complete B.S.

Now I agree that bargains can be found in the gun world. However, by far and large if you actually shoot your guns (not saying you don't, speaking in general) then you're going to want a better fit 1911 with better parts and steel.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with that statement. A 12 guage is a 12 guage in my book.

It's all about personal opinion,

I understand more and more why the old gang don't post here anymore. You cannot introduce logic into a conversation that people have the mind set of this is just "personal opinion". I won't waste anymore time debating or asking for references for stupid statements, it just leads to more stupid statements.

By the way, OP, sorry about the way this thread has turned. You came asking opinions, and people making unsubstantiated opinions do not help you out. Several people that have posted in this thread have forgotten more about 1911's than the rest will ever know. Listen to Ol Yeller, (makes custom 1911s, and is a hell of a gunsmith), Glocktogo, has spent more money shooting than I will see in a lifetime, and GM Thunder, has owned more 1911s than most gun stores stock. The rest of the people are spreading opinions. Those are like armpits, everyone has a couple and they all stink.

By the Springfield. Better gun, will resell better if you don't like it, and if you do, it will be one that you will like until you want to take the next step. I liked my RIA for what it is, but the metal, bluing and accuracy is inferior to the Springer. It is better to pay the price and cry once, than buy one you will want to trade up on, and can't recap your investment, or at least a good part of it. As the others have said, the RIA may be all you ever want, and there is nothing wrong with that, but if you are looking for the long term, or possibly a gun to base a custom on later, go with the Springfield.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom