RIA vs SA 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jckellison

Springfield to Rock Island seems the same argument as S&W to Taurus.

There's going to be a lot of difference in quality, but it can be reflected in price. Does it mean the most expensive RIA is better than a base Springfield??? Not exactly. You can dress and shine a Taurus up all you want, it'll never be a Smith.

Buy what you want, but ask yourself if you'd rather keep your money in America, or wouldn't mind sending it offshore.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand more and more why the old gang don't post here anymore. You cannot introduce logic into a conversation that people have the mind set of this is just personal opinion. I won't waste anymore time debating or asking for references for stupid statements, it just leads to more stupid statements.

By the way, OP, sorry about the way this thread has turned. You came asking opinions, and people making unsubstantiated opinions do not help you out. Several people that have posted in this thread have forgotten more about 1911's than the rest will ever know. Listen to Ol Yeller, (makes custom 1911s, and is a hell of a gunsmith), Glocktogo, has spent more money shooting than I will see in a lifetime, and GM Thunder, has owned more 1911s than most gun stores stock. The rest of the people are spreading opinions. Those are like armpits, everyone has a couple and they all stink.

Gosh... I wish I could omnipitant like you are, and beileive that no one else has a right to their own opinion. Cheers. Maybe you should joing the old gang... Just saying.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So by your theory..... a Llama is equal to a Wilson combat? Sorry but that's complete B.S.

Now I agree that bargains can be found in the gun world. However, by far and large if you actually shoot your guns (not saying you don't, speaking in general) then you're going to want a better fit 1911 with better parts and steel.

If a llama shoots better for you than a SA... BUY it/keep it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a llama shoots better for you than a SA... BUY it/keep it.

That has nothing to do with what I said. People that believe all 1911s are the same have little experience owning different makes and models or just don't know how to tell the difference.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with what I said. People that believe all 1911s are the same have little experience owning different makes and models or just don't know how to tell the difference.

I understood what you said. I just didn't feel like writing a tome. I have handled many 1911's. STI, Kimber, Para, SA, Rock, Llama........ They are all 1911s in my handbook. Some are tighter, feel better, shoot better for me than others. I prefer my Rock.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gosh... I wish I could omnipitant like you are, and beileive that no one else has a right to their own opinion. Cheers. Maybe you should joing the old gang... Just saying.

Has nothing to do with being a know it all. It has everything to do with telling a person looking for information completely unsubstantiated comments like this

The only difference in the two is the name and the price. I have an RIA tactical that is the best 1911 I have ever held and fired.

Not only is that an ignorant statement, it is misleading to someone looking for information. You are entitled to your opinion, and I am glad you are happy with your RIA, as I stated, I have owned several and like them also. However they are not in the same class, and the reason I don't "join the old gang" is the same reason I would speak up when someone is being sold a line of crap on any other gun, like the Rijas group.

Your line of thinking is the only difference between a Hi Point and a Glock, XD, or M&P is the price and name. After all they are all polymer pistols.......

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Judging the quality of a handgun goes much deeper than the looks of it. A good handgun should have quality parts that are durable and repeatable. It should have tolerances that provide an acceptable level of accuracy without interfering with function. It should be topped with a finish that provides corrosion and wear resistance that protect the materials. It should have a service life commensurate with it's price. Just saying it shoots fine and looks good isn't an objective rating, it's a subjective one. Objective reviews should always be preferred over subjective reviews.

For a hobby shooter that shoots a box or two and takes it home to put away, most any of the 1911 choices will suffice. If your use for the pistol extends beyond that, you really need to quantify what your dollars are buying. Add the cost of any necessary upgrades to make it a true duty grade firearm and compare. Only then have you made an objective choice.

Feel free to make your choices by whatever criteria you prefer, but I'd suggest qualifying your recommendations to others based on your criteria, not how you "feel". JMO, YMMV

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understood what you said. I just didn't feel like writing a tome. I have handled many 1911's. STI, Kimber, Para, SA, Rock, Llama........ They are all 1911s in my handbook. Some are tighter, feel better, shoot better for me than others. I prefer my Rock.

Some people handle 1911s and some people shoot them. :D

You're contradicting yourself here now. You're saying they're all the same, yet some are now tighter, feel better and shoot better?

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people handle 1911s and some people shoot them. :D

You're contradicting yourself here now. You're saying they're all the same, yet some are now tighter, feel better and shoot better?

But don't forget the "FOR ME" part.:patriot:

Look I realize that some more time goes into the production of some 1911s than others. Some gun smiths take more time to get the fit and finish right. They stone, fit, inspect and do all that good stuff. My opinion is that my rock is put together together way better than my SA. Don't misunderstand... the SA is sweet BUT I like my Rock's feel and function better. Hope that helps. :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom