RIA vs SA 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But don't forget the "FOR ME" part.:patriot:

There was no "for me" metioned in what I originally quoted.

As for the rest they are all designed and built from John Browning/Colts original work.

Now, out of curiousity could you post pics of the differences of your two 1911s? I think it would be extremely helpful to the OP and anyone reading this thread. The last RIA I saw had the worst factory barrel fit I'd seen outside of a Llama so I'm curious to see the differences aswell.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the RI, IMO it is a great gun for under $500. The key point is under $500, there is a reason it's under $500.(Remember that) The SA Range Officer is not under $500 there is also a reason for that. For the most part you get what you pay for. The two don't compare, the SA is all around a better gun. The RI is a all around good gun for under $500

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SA. Lifetime warranty from a reputable company. Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. If you want to spend $500 on a dependable weapon, get a Glock. If you're going to buy a 1911, $750 is a good start and opens up your choices considerably.

Here's a good review on the RIAT from m1911: http://ezine.m1911.org/RIATactical.htm

The RIA is not in the same league or class as the SA RO. They are apples and oranges. A bride and a bridesmaid.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But don't forget the "FOR ME" part.:patriot:

Look I realize that some more time goes into the production of some 1911s than others. Some gun smiths take more time to get the fit and finish right. They stone, fit, inspect and do all that good stuff. My opinion is that my rock is put together together way better than my SA. Don't misunderstand... the SA is sweet BUT I like my Rock's feel and function better. Hope that helps. :wink2:

Actually, it doesn't. Can you quantify what makes it function better, i.e. the barrel feet engage the slide stop more positively, The barrel lugs have more surface contact with the slide, the extractor is more correctly tuned (approx. 4#) and radiused, the feed ramp is more correct, the surface contact between the slide and frame is more even and consistent, the barrel bushing is fitted more precisely...

Can you quantify what makes it feel better, i.e., the feeding is smoother, the slide moves more smoothly throughout the full length of travel, the thumb safety engages and disengages more positively and fully blocks all sear movement when engaged, the grip safety activates more readily, yet still prevents hammer fall when not depressed, the magazines drop more freely with the slide locked back, the trigger has less takeup/creep/overtravel, the edges are dehorned better...

Saying "BUT I like my Rock's feel and function better." is subjective. Answering the questions I posted with the quantifiable differences between the two is objective. The latter carries a lot more weight than the former.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, it doesn't. Can you quantify what makes it function better, i.e. the barrel feet engage the slide stop more positively, The barrel lugs have more surface contact with the slide, the extractor is more correctly tuned (approx. 4#) and radiused, the feed ramp is more correct, the surface contact between the slide and frame is more even and consistent, the barrel bushing is fitted more precisely...

Can you quantify what makes it feel better, i.e., the feeding is smoother, the slide moves more smoothly throughout the full length of travel, the thumb safety engages and disengages more positively and fully blocks all sear movement when engaged, the grip safety activates more readily, yet still prevents hammer fall when not depressed, the magazines drop more freely with the slide locked back, the trigger has less takeup/creep/overtravel, the edges are dehorned better...

Saying "BUT I like my Rock's feel and function better." is subjective. Answering the questions I posted with the quantifiable differences between the two is objective. The latter carries a lot more weight than the former.

When you get around 5,000 rounds see how the barrel lugs and slide has peened ... then get back with me. When it stops ejecting brass into a neat pile... lets see if that ejector can be tuned... and how many miles will you get on the stock springs? Most poorly fitted guns are over-sprung at the factory to over come the poor fitting---in turn they chew their guts up early.

After it's shot loose (20 K) a little lets see if refitting the rails to the slide help that RIA...

99% of us won't run a 1911 that hard... if your gun expects to see over 2K a year pop for the extra and get a SA or a Colt or Kimber... (not so sure about the Kimber either) or you can ---just buy 2. or 3 RIA, Auto Ordinance, Citidel, etc.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes.......... I don't care if don't get it. I know what the difference feels like to me. I don't have to justify my statement to you or anyone else. Yes the statement was subjective. You saying one is better than the other is subjective as well. What is good or comfortable or sexy or ugly to you is/may not be what is the afore mentioned to someone else.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was no "for me" metioned in what I originally quoted.

Now, out of curiousity could you post pics of the differences of your two 1911s? I think it would be extremely helpful to the OP and anyone reading this thread. The last RIA I saw had the worst factory barrel fit I'd seen outside of a Llama so I'm curious to see the differences aswell.

Well..... heheheh.... that's where you've got me by the ding-ding. I don't have the SA here. My Dad has it. :flamed:

YEAH..... I know what that sounds like....... Kinda like your dorky buddy who SAYS he got laid by a girl in Niagra Falls over Summer break...... I can have my brother send pics of you really need me to prove it.

BUT.... Anyway. I know what I mean. That's all that matters to me. The OP asked for an opinion and I gave it to him.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that being said... see what a formerly "cheap" Norinco brings these days. You cannot make up for poor steel. Norinco are regarded well enough that many custom shops sought them out for carcasses to build high dollar guns on.

If a alloy cannot be hardened correctly.... a 1911 (especially) won't hold up over the long term.... that action is not gingerly, in fact it's about as subtle as a sledge hammer the way it loads and locks up.

if you like a $500 gun ... and dont run it hard... like it all you want. Just dont expect a Yugo to run like a Peterbuilt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom