Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I would share some of my re kindled .22 LR addiction.

Originally this Ruger MK III 22/45 was a Model P512MKIII that I traded an old hunting rifle for. The guy I traded with said he had only shot two magazines out of it. After the trade I took it to the range and it shot great with bulk .22 ammo at the 25 meter range.

I sent it off to Tornado Technologies in Oregon for the barrel threading and re finish job. It was a 4 month wait. They are super busy. Tornado Technologies is by far the absolute best at what they do. The quality work was well worth the wait.

I purchased a SWR Spectre .22 suppressor via MAJOR MALFUNCTION. It took 4 months to get the approval from BATF before receiving my Tax stamped Form 4 back. The SWR Spectre is a solid and extremely well designed suppressor.

The pistol arrived back from Tornado Technologies the same week I took possession of the suppressor.

I picked up the Butler Creek Thumbsaver loading tool just in time as I have been shooting it quite a bit. The Thumbsaver is very inexpensive yet as I understand has been discontinued by Butler Creek. I purchased the Thumbsaver from Uniquetek.com

I read on Rimfirecentral about the Sam’s bushing that replaces the factory magazine safety and eliminates the magazine hang ups I had been having. I contacted Sam and obtained the bushing. The bushing was easy to install and the pistol performs great. Magazine changes are very easy now with no hang ups.

I am attaching a few photos including some with the SWR Spectre attached as well as photos with the Spectre taken apart showing some of the carbon build up that collects in it. The Spectre is easy to clean and maintain. I have been cleaning it between every 300-500 rounds.

I have been shooting various kinds of .22 out of this set up. CCI mini mags, CCI SGB (Small Game Bullet), Federal 40 grain lead bulk pack, Federal 36 grain copper bulk pack, Federal American Eagle 40 grain and Federal Classic 40 grain.

I have been using a great lubricant I get from Dillon Precision called "Snake
Oil". It does not collect dust or weapon gunk and the Ruger MK III 22/45 runs great with it.

The set up runs great. The suppressor is so quiet that you mainly hear three things.
1) the pistol cycling,
2) the projectiles hitting the cardboard backed target and,
3) the projectiles hitting the dirt back stop behind the target.

I have not replaced or modified any other parts in the pistol. I have not had any failures to feed, cycle, fire, or eject. The fired casings eject about two to three meters to the right and a meter forward of the shooter.

CP

PHOTOS

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_1.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_2.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_3.jpg

ai697.photobucket.com_albums_vv339_Oklahoma73073_RugerMKIII22_45_4.jpg

SWR Spectre

http://www.swrmfg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=22

Tornado Technologies

http://www.tornado-technologies.com/services.html

Butler Creek Thumbsaver at www.Uniquetek.com.

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1299

Snake Oil at Dillon Precision

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...l_2_oz__Bottle

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Buckmark!
[Broken External Image]

Although this 60 ear old jewel is awesome if you can find one!
[Broken External Image]

And this is probably the finest .22 pistol made today! Trying to decide what threaded barrel to get for her.
[Broken External Image]

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Buckmark!
[Broken External Image]

Although this 60 ear old jewel is awesome if you can find one!
[Broken External Image]

And this is probably the finest .22 pistol made today! Trying to decide what threaded barrel to get for her.
[Broken External Image]

dang, another person with photo skills.

HITNRUNXX

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here and just wanted to say thanks already! Between this thread and the "Ruger 22/45 vs. Browning Buckmark" thread, it certainly helped me decide. I fell in love with my cousin's Ruger Mark II with a Red Dot on it. I have been wanting my own for several years and finally decided to get a couple of those things I have been wanting...

After some searching and researching, I decided I liked the Mark III over the Mark II, and then decided the 22/45 was my probable choice. My next choice was the Buckmark. Well, today a friend recommended I get a Buckmark instead. His only reason to say so was that it was "sooooo much cheaper." Which, it was not. However, it made me look and compare all day today and I even got out and got my hands on one with the URX grip. And it just felt RIGHT. I thought I would like the angle of the 22/45 better, but the Buckmark does not feel as dramatic as the Mark II/III did.

I want this to be a hobby gun, something incredible accurate, that I can shoot cheaper than my .40, and something I can customize out some. It looks like there are a lot of better and less expensive options for the Buckmark (other than grips, but I really like the URX) and so I am pretty sure that this is the way I am going to go (with the exception of find a really good deal on a 22/45 within the next few days. lol ).

I know I am new, but again, I just wanted to tell you all thank you for the information you provided here. It is really appreciated.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently became interested in acquiring a buckmark after I checked everything off of my "list" and my mind began to propagate a new list which included the buckmark custom à la Top Shot.

I called Tactical Solutions and they let the air out of my bubble a little bit. The buckmark on Top Shot and on one of their website stock photos looked more of an earthy, bronzy, gold, tannish color which i thought was absolutely beautiful. I could tell the rep had fielded numerous calls like mine with people looking for that color, which apparently doesnt exist because it actually looks green in person like yours. For an additional $75 they can custom coat it as close as they can to the color I want though :(.

Im a bit shocked that the color that looks like Glocktogo's or like the picture the phone rep showed me could change so dramatically from photo to photo.

REALITY

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_CIMG2749.jpg

www.rimfiresports.com_graphics_00000001_TSBKMK_MOD.jpg

vs.

WHAT I WANT

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Heck the barrel and grips cost more than a buckmark before adding the custom coat, but I have to get it........

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently became interested in acquiring a buckmark after I checked everything off of my "list" and my mind began to propagate a new list which included the buckmark custom à la Top Shot.

I called Tactical Solutions and they let the air out of my bubble a little bit. The buckmark on Top Shot and on one of their website stock photos looked more of an earthy, bronzy, gold, tannish color which i thought was absolutely beautiful. I could tell the rep had fielded numerous calls like mine with people looking for that color, which apparently doesnt exist because it actually looks green in person like yours. For an additional $75 they can custom coat it as close as they can to the color I want though :(.

Im a bit shocked that the color that looks like Glocktogo's or like the picture the phone rep showed me could change so dramatically from photo to photo.

REALITY

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_CIMG2749.jpg

www.rimfiresports.com_graphics_00000001_TSBKMK_MOD.jpg

vs.

WHAT I WANT

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Heck the barrel and grips cost more than a buckmark before adding the custom coat, but I have to get it........

Buy what you want then see this thread for your dream color. Jarod will take care of ya!

Latest posts

Top Bottom