Ruger's new 10/22 version. The "Appleseed Ruger"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took a look at one this weekend and like the stock and rail but would replace front sight with Tech sight. Would like to have one but should probably just add a rail to my current LTR.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Mounted the TRS 25 on the stock rail. The rear sight isn't tall enough to co-witness with the red dot or even use the iron sights with it attached.

I really wish Ruger would've went with the TSR200RL model tech sights and a standard factory rail for the iron sights/rail on this model instead. That's probably my single biggest complaint about this rifle.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really wish Ruger would've went with the TSR200RL model tech sights and a standard factory rail for the iron sights/rail on this model instead. That's probably my single biggest complaint about this rifle.

My thoughts exactly when I looked it over. Fully intended to purchase it before I looked at it but as I handled it I kept thinking I would at least replace the front sight and would prefer the click adjustable rear.

I do very much like the stock, its versatility and the extra length. I may still give in but not just yet.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped by Sports World this afternoon and bought one of these -- good lookin' out Raoul! It is a sharp looking rifle, feels good in the hands, and I think it is a great option for those who want a rifle that can be Appleseed-ready without any gunsmithing. Just throw some swivels and a sling on it, grab an extra mag, and you're in business.

I agree though... Tech Sights makes superior sights, and the lack of co-witness ability is a bummer... but this design allowed Ruger to use their existing sight parts, making this a more feasible design for them to put in production than one that requires a lot of aftermarket parts, and allowing them to bring it to market at a reasonable price. That was Gary's rationale when he submitted the design. Though they are a bit more complicated to adjust than Tech Sights, the sights accomplish the main goals of delivering peep sights, a longer sight radius, and being fully adjustable for windage and elevation. They are infinitely better than factory 10/22 notch sights.

Unfortunately the stock insert with the raised cheek piece doesn't fit me at all. The cheek piece doesn't extend forward far enough... the spot where my cheek rests is forward of the raised area, making it pointless (and uncomfortable) for me. It ought to be fine for shorter-necked folks though. Oh well, I will almost certainly just be leaving it with iron sights and using it for practice and as a loaner for Appleseeds.

i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_imagejpg1_zpsc1af8d4b.jpg

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. Particularly those who have purchased the new 10/22 and shared their thoughts.

Based on what I have learned so far, I think I will stay with the take down version with the added tech sights. This is the set up I have for both of my boys, and I am amazed at how well it works.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is a great option for those who want a rifle that can be Appleseed-ready without any gunsmithing. Just throw some swivels and a sling on it, grab an extra mag, and you're in business.
i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_guns_imagejpg1_zpsc1af8d4b.jpg

Ruger should at least offer a special package deal on shopruger.com for the owners of this rifle that sign up for the online owner notification discount(http://www.ruger.com/service/notificationCardTC.html) which would include all of the above plus a case(http://shopruger.com/10_22-Rifle-Case/productinfo/84240/) and (maybe I'm pushing it here)a special discounted rate gift certificate to attend an Appleseed & NSSF Rimfire Challenge to make this rifle really ready to go. Of course I'd prefer that it be 1 1/4" G.I. style sling with quick release sling swivels.

I'm kinda partial to these Outdoor Connection G.I. slings & Talon swivels:

https://www.bisontactical.com/usgi-appleseed-sling.html

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=42084.0

We actually made 6 rifles. I was getting one with my initials on it and I asked them back at the NRA show if I could buy 5 more for my kids and one to shoot (at Appleseed). I didn't want to shoot the special serial number one. They surprised me and made all 6 with my initials 001-006 and of course there is more to it than that. So here are my 6 rifles in the factory, where I made them. Kind of overwhelming.

cae249da-91b8-4292-aa40-9eb727e664a5_zps80a5e384.jpg

^^^ This is Awesome!!!^^^

This is pretty cool, too:

Pretty amazing experience. Just think this all happened because I went to an Appleseed back in 2011 and was inspired to get involved. You never know what can happen when you plant the seed.

Mark Gurney, the Product Manager asked me a lot of questions about my rifle..."What can be do to make it better for Appleseed? What would you like to see next?" I answered that a click adjustable rear sight would be better and I would like to see a 16" bbl, take down with a cantilever rail mounted on the barrel". They looked at Tech sights but Tech Sights wouldn't work with them on a bulk price and they would have to make the front sight taller they said. They are looking at how to make the current peep, which is also on the Mini 14 and Scout rifle easier and click adjustable. As for the short barrel take down? "Yeah we can do that" he said. The VP liked the cantilevered rail idea. as well. They hinted that they are looking at a scout rifle version of my design as well.

In our conversation at dinner I finally told them "Hey, you guys really need to bring your management team, engineers, product designers etc to an Appleseed to really see how well the 10/22 and perhaps other Ruger rifles work in real life. I am sure it will inspire you to create and improve your products like it did me to design this rifle".

Latest posts

Top Bottom