Selling a car, question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Car has issues that we've decide were too costly to repair.
listed the car for sale but want to be sure i do the right thing.
Got 24 people asking about it in 6 hours since I listed it.

what kind of sales receipt info do I need to cover myself and do I need to have them sign the title at the tag agency or something?

several years ago my son sold a car and the buyer never transfered the title.
they crashed the car a few months later and abandoned it. The LE in charge of that area called and said what are you gonna do with your car?
long story a bit shorter, tow company wanted to charge me for towing and storage along with some other legal stuff.

thanks

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Car has issues that we've decide were too costly to repair.
listed the car for sale but want to be sure i do the right thing.
Got 24 people asking about it in 6 hours since I listed it.

what kind of sales receipt info do I need to cover myself and do I need to have them sign the title at the tag agency or something?

several years ago my son sold a car and the buyer never transfered the title.
they crashed the car a few months later and abandoned it. The LE in charge of that area called and said what are you gonna do with your car?
long story a bit shorter, tow company wanted to charge me for towing and storage along with some other legal stuff.

thanks

So, that was the car that was abandoned in @Cowcatcher 's field!! :pms2:

I've just accompanied them down to the tag agency and got it swapped over right then. Since there's a Notary in the tag office, you could have them notary a document stating the 'defects' in the vehicle and that it is 'as is/where is'.

Good luck!!

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two places to sign .There's a place at the bottom of the title to sign also. Sign it at the tag agency and tell them you want to sign where you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. The tag agency tears that strip off and files it for you. Then it is soley their responsibility to change it over. Then it's all on the buyer. Your hands are washed of the matter. Keep your tag that is on the vehicle.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do what Mr Glock said. That way DPS knows that you transferred the car and to whom. Cost me $10.00 but a cheap price to pay in case it comes back on me.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sell it to me and don’t worry about it! Lol I have an 8 month pregnant sister in law who needs something decent!
But otherwise, just make them meet at a tag agency and do it on the spot as a condition of the sale.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sell it to me and don’t worry about it! Lol I have an 8 month pregnant sister in law who needs something decent!
But otherwise, just make them meet at a tag agency and do it on the spot as a condition of the sale.
I wouldn't put your sister in it. Transmission doesn't go fwd, only reverse.
numerous other issues.
thanks for the insight everyone

Latest posts

Top Bottom