SIG 522 heavy barrel & Ruger 10-22 questions/sell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

aim_bot

Hello guys, joined awhile back/lurked but finally driven to make my 1st post today to see if you can help with some decisions I have to make.

Original Intent:

I bought a SIG 522 heavy barrel (20") in classic trim and intended to put a scope on it and make it a varmit/target weapon. I also bought a stainless Ruger 10-22 and intended to make it a tactical carbine and currently have a new Archangel stock still in the box and have not converted it yet. I have also added the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor to the Ruger as a preventative upgrade. BOTH WEAPONS STILL NEW AND UNFIRED.

Delima:

I also own a SIG 556 Classic which matches the 522 of course, except for the heavy barrel. I am having second thoughts about my original intent and am looking for direction. I sort of wanting to have the shorter standard barrel on the 522 and put a similar optic on it to create an "analog" training weapon for my 556. I know many who own AR15s do this with the Smith M&P's, etc...

I am not aware that SIG sells just the standard-length factory barrel (16"?) by itself for the 522? I know the heavy barrels are in high demand and hard to find though; I only wish the combo kit had been available at the time I made the purchase.

Possible Options:

So in addition to any & all input you guys can give, I am considering the following:

- Buy a stand alone short barrel for SIG 522 if available
- Find someone to trade up to the heavy barrel and give me their standard barrel for SIG 522

- Buy a new SIG 522 standard barrel and make that my analog for the 556; keep the heavy barrel SIG 522 as a scoped weapon, then sell the Ruger

- Keep what I got, use the Ruger in tactical form as the trainer/analog and just scope the 522 heavy as originally planned

- Make the 522 heavy barrel the analog for the 556 and just live with the longer barrel as it is and then have 2 tactical 22's and no scoped target weapon

And of course, there are other possibilities but please think if it were you, what you would do. I sorta wish I had just gotten the standard barrel 522 and then I could add a heavy barrel to the ruger and scope it...I suppose that is another option and then sell my SIG 522 heavy?

Finally, if I decided to sell the 10/22, would it be best to do it up as the tactical carbine complete with red dot, extra mags, etc...or just sell it in stock form as it was purchased? Obviously I'd have to charge more to cover the cost of the mods, but it would be "cooler" and might be in higher demand than in stock form?

Last edited:

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you sell the 10/22, I would not sell as a package. More $$$ in my opinion if you part it out.

Sold this
[Broken External Image]

Kept this
img.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_DSC00395.jpg

SIG was not even close accuracy wise to the 10/22.

A

aim_bot

Wow, I would not have expected that. Most people seem to rave about the 522's accuracy, and I would "think" the heavy barrel would fair much better. I used to have a 10/22 a long time ago and it was accurate with iron sights. Thanks for the input. Can I ask what scope you have on that 10/22? And also what muzzle break is that? Can you still use iron sights on it? Keep it coming guys...FYI, a guy at work says he would buy the 10/22 in stock trim off me if I decide to sell it. I think "what I really want" is to have the 522 standard barrel, and then get a heavy barrel for the 10/22 and make it my scoped weapon....so many choices it makes my head hurt LOL.

A

aim_bot

I spoke to SIG and they will only allow me a standard barrel if I do it as a "service"...they will not do this with heavy barrel, but they said nobody asks for the standard barrel LOL, they all call and ask for the heavy. Not sure what to do because I hate to go to the trouble to send in the gun and pay a premium price for the standard barrel due to labor...I am sure this is to discourage people asking. Buying another 522 and selling the Ruger would solve the issue, but the idea of the Ruger being modded and accurate is enticing...

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, I would not have expected that. Most people seem to rave about the 522's accuracy, and I would "think" the heavy barrel would fair much better. I used to have a 10/22 a long time ago and it was accurate with iron sights. Thanks for the input. Can I ask what scope you have on that 10/22? And also what muzzle break is that? Can you still use iron sights on it? Keep it coming guys...FYI, a guy at work says he would buy the 10/22 in stock trim off me if I decide to sell it. I think "what I really want" is to have the 522 standard barrel, and then get a heavy barrel for the 10/22 and make it my scoped weapon....so many choices it makes my head hurt LOL.

It is not a scope but a Sightron red dot. It has four different reticles. The rifle was a 10/22 Tactical. I added the stock. They come from the factory with a Mini-14 flash suppressor. They are slick barrel, no iron sights. I had and extra M16 A1 FS laying around and put that on. The 10/22 is one of my host weapons for a suppressor.

Here is what it looked like in original configuration (10/22 Tactical). Original flash suppressor is next to the barrel.
[Broken External Image]

Another of my 10/22 host.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_DSC00328.jpg

A

aim_bot

New decision is whether to use the SIG heavy barrel as my scoped rifle, or to build the 10/22...I went out and got me a standard 522 so this changes the thread :)

A

aim_bot

Well I move fast...10/22 sells to buddy tomorrow. I would have loved to build one, but too many irons in the fire. Looks like I will have a sniper version SIG 522 and a tactical/analog...nothing against the 10/22, I had one as my first rifle a long time ago. I just have too many irons in the fire and not enough time/money/safe room to have loose ends. Can you tell I am making myself feel better about abandoning the project and selling it? The last time I sold a gun it bugged me for weeks LOL. Anyone have any positive things to say about what I am left with?

EDIT - had time to think it over...I'd rather keep the 10/22 so I guess I am keeping all three....at least i had a public forum to think my way through this outloud LOL...and thanks CHARD for chiming in.

Last edited:
A

aim_bot

I swore to my wife I'd sell the 10/22 if I got another black rifle to help with the cost but since this post, I once again caved. The 10/22 will be PERFECT to teach the kids to shoot and the wife too. Thanks for the good advice. and FYI, installing the SIG 522 front sights yourself is a nightmare...my gas block is now scratched a bit. If SIG did not make it look so easy in the instructions, then I'd have taken it to a gun smith.

Latest posts

Top Bottom