Snakes not needed.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was younger, not all that long ago, we used to find horny toads on a regular basis around Ripley, Oklahoma. They were mean little dudes. I don't want to do the math, but I was probably 12 years old. I am 29 now. You can figure up the year if you like.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard that horny toads are either protected or endangered, but Wikipedia has the Texas Horned Lizard in the "Least Concern" category. The Horned Lizard Conservation Society says:
Populations of the Texas Horned Lizard have disappeared in East and Central Texas, and are decreasing in North Texas as well. A decline and disappearance of them in Oklahoma and New Mexico has been noted. Other species of horned lizards throughout the Southwest are also in trouble including the San Diego Coast Horned Lizard and the Flat-tailed Horned Lizard.
-- http://www.hornedlizards.org/hornedlizards/hornedlizards_frame.html

I know that they were plentiful on the north side of Norman when I was a kid, but I've only seen one in the wild since I was 12 or so, and that was in Purcell. I don't recall ever seeing one where I live now (SE Norman).

If they like red ants, I've got a hayfield where they'd be like pigs in slop--we have a bunch of big red ant piles...

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In Oklahoma. Horned Toads are endangered. There is a "Large fine" for their injury. If you have some please register them with the Wildlife Department. Your place could become a reserve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom