New Powerful Painkiller Has Abuse Experts Worried

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The acetaminophen overdose is a major problem. I have quite a view liver transplant and death cases because of thhis.

I had 3200 fen-phen clients in 2002. About 1100 had various levels of damage to their hearts. It stings when I send a newsletter only to have a family member call me and tell me my client has died.

Big Pharma, like Big Insurance values people over profits. When the Hell are you all going to get that and stop electing people bought and paid for by their lobbies? But again, it's never "you," it's always the "other guy" that gets screwed or "everyone else is a faker" until it's "you."

I know it's a major problem. But that doesn't change the fact that there are people out there who couldn't function without painkillers. My dad went through three rounds of chemotherapy and he confided in me that he contemplated suicide because the pain. That's what I'm arguing. It's silly to put a big snarky blanket over every case where someone is on painkillers, even if it's sometimes true that painkillers and anti depressants medications are pushed onto people.

And as far as medical marijuana goes, I think there have been enough studies on the matter to show a definite potential benefits. Smoking isn't exactly healthy, but the painkilling and antiemetic effects of MM have been well documented. I just find it ridiculous that there are five (IIRC) people in the U.S. who receive pre-rolled marijuana cigarettes as part of a now-defunct medical marijuana study, and they'll keep getting them until they die. But the government has steadfastly denied that medical marijuana has any benefit. People who oppose MM have been brainwashed by anti-drug propaganda (or have seen Reefer Madness one too many times), deny all the evidence that it helps people, and claim that it would lead to the further degradation of our society.

I have the same issue with the self-righteous among us who say that someone whose illness has gone terminal and is in so much pain that it's past the point where medicine can help have no right to end their own suffering.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for pain killer and good drugs that help people. I am just against Big Pharma throwing out drugs into the market without adequate research.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Druggies are simply another symptom of a larger problem. We won't fix that problem until we fix the biggest one. Personal responsibility and accountability.

Never gonna happen under our current system.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .gov has dam near outlawed my sudafed :smack: so I rely on oxycontin instead. :tounge:

Tell me about it! My doc has tried nearly every sinusitis med on me and I even had sinus surgery in 2005. Plain old cheap, behind the counter pseudoephedrine still works better for me than anything else.

As for the medical marijuana issue, no pol is going to back it's legalization. There's no money in it for big pharma.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Initially, a controlled release Hydrocodone product will have a patent and may not be reproduced by generic manufacturers for several years (7? Can't recall at 2 AM). If it takes off in sales, despite it's higher cost the other manufacturers will make their own (similar) formulas to get their piece of the new pie.

Craptacular! Let's just medicate everyone. Nuvigil to wake up, Adderal to lose weight, Xanax to calm those jittery nerves, Soma for the pesky chronic back spasms. Then lets work up the ladder in Opioid potency. Skip Hydrocodone, Oxycodone and Morphene, and go straight to Dilaudid and Methadone. Finish with a coffin kicker.

I'm confronted by the drug addled masses daily, turn them away and more just keep coming. It'll continue until people start suing Physicians for enabling their addictions. The problem is that once addicted, few actually want to withdraw. So, the process will continue...

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm about to make a whole lot of enemies here.

I don't think the big pharma getting people hooked shtick really applies to hydrocodone. Last time I was behind the counter in a retail pharmacy there were 5 manufacturers of generic hydrocodone/APAP. What gets dispensed to patients is the stuff the pharmacy can get at that point which in Oklahoma was most commonly the Watson brand, although I did see some Mallinckrodt and Qualitest from time to time. With so many manufacturers around I'm just not seeing the corporate overlord get em hooked connection with that particular drug. I fully believe they do it, I just don't see it happening with Lortab, which by the way was the most commonly filled medication at a few of the places I've been to.

The product mentioned sounds like a useful painkiller, as long as it allows once or twice daily dosing it has a place in therapy for pain patients. The regular stuff also has a place in medicine, and it would be retarded to ban it just because people abuse it.

Prescription drug abuse is a real problem, its causes are many, and I'll get off my high horse now because I don't feel like pointing fingers and getting everyone all riled up.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For some of us. The real issue is how to live with the pain on the least amount of drug. But daily the pain becomes so severe that the medication just doesn't begin to help and you know that if you take any more it will be a death sentence probably. If making the drugs stronger is sacary, it should be... but...I find myself looking forward to someone who can help me slow it down or stop it. Since I really care about my family...my trying to eliminate the pain by dying is not an option. Just hope someone can make something that will dull the pain so I can function safely... Nerve death feel like every square inch of your nerves, skin, muscles, etc is on fire because they are dying.
I could do with something stronger... Sorry, but you folks just hit a nerve in me!

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Morphine cured laudanum addiction, heroin cured morphine addiction. Adderal was originally marketed as a diet pill before given to kids with ADD. You child is more likely to be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD if they are in the youngest 25%ish of their class because 1 year of development is a lot in 8-10 year olds. The medical industry is evil, but a lot of good comes out of it too.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me about it! My doc has tried nearly every sinusitis med on me and I even had sinus surgery in 2005. Plain old cheap, behind the counter pseudoephedrine still works better for me than anything else.

+1 from me too. I can have a killer sinus headache, and try all sorts of stuff. Or take a single 12-hour sudafed. BAM! Good as new. That stuff works miracles on sinus congestion, although taking it regularly and in larger doses has the potential for some crazy side effects. Of course, you could probably say that for almost every med out there...

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some of us. The real issue is how to live with the pain on the least amount of drug. Nerve death feel like every square inch of your nerves, skin, muscles, etc is on fire because they are dying.
My uncle is dealing with nerve death right now. It is hard to watch. I know what you are saying about living with pain too. I had two surgeries when I broke my back. One to repair the broken vertebrae and disks, and a 2nd to reapair what nerve damage they could fix. I have a drawer full of pain killers at home, but only try to take them when it gets really bad. I live in pain everyday, but have learned to deal with it. Some days I can not find anything to kill the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom