So i rode a Harley today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can get behind that! If I ever buy another bike, it'll be the BMW R-1200. What a comfortable bike it is.

I'll be forever mad at myself for not buying the ridiculously low priced R-1200R that a member here PM'ed me about in 2009. It's the bike I've drooled over, and it was low mileage, bags, case guards, heated grips, ABS - you name it. Could have rode it for a few years and still sold it for what I had in it. Passed, as I was looking to buy a newer car (that didn't happen until this year).

I'll never get over that burst of stupidity.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rode a 57 XL, Paughco hardtail frame, maxed out valves, pistons, cams. 6" over stretched front end, apehangers. Pretty bright red, with lots of chrome, kickstart only.....

Met the wife in traffic - never dated another girl after that.
She'll be quick to tell you it was the bike.

And these new Harleys ain't the same. Good for a mid-life crisis I guess.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was anti HD most of my life, principally a sport bike rider, but I've had some standards and enjoyed my 83 goldwing. Wife and I bought a new super glide custom on May 8th. I gave up sportbikes because I had no self control and riding just was not any fun on a sport bike at anything resembling legality, and I was not going to become a track day only rider. We have been grinning ear to ear since we bought it. It's easy to ride, she likes taking it for the commute to work as much as I do. She can comfortably ride pillion when we go someplace together, we did a 9 day vacation to the tail of the dragon and back in June. It goes as fast as I need it to go, it handles quite well for an 800 pound bike. I have not enjoyed riding this much since I first started riding, it's fun.

We thought sbout trading up to an electra glide after going to NC and after 1 month my payoff was less than the trade in value of the bike. Try doing that with any other bike. We decided not to do it because it wouldn't be as fun for her solo so next year after her car is paid for we are going to buy a street glide for 2 up trips but still have the fun capacity in town with it and we will both have bikes to ride then.

Cavagan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Harley's aren't what they used to be. I rode my buddy's '02 Ultra a few times in kommiefornia and I was flabbergasted at how nimble it handled. They've got the center of gravity perfect on them and it didn't feel anywhere near like a 900+lb bike should, not any heavier than my 1100 Honda Shadow! But my next bike will be a BMW R1200T. I'd like to have a VRod for sprinting around town and when feeling especially naughty a Haybusa. :hyper:

But no air cooled v-twins for me. :nolike: I'm not even sure it's even possible to just wear out a BMW boxer engine.

Agree. I've ridden several Harley's. Ultra Classic, Road King, etc. They're quite the bike. I can understand GC's trepidation with the old police model's, definitely not what I'd consider a proper feel for today's Harley line.

That being said, I still own and ride a Yamaha. Hater's gonna hate, but that big ol' metric air-cooled carbureted v-twin just has a bit of an attraction for me. I doubt I'll ever have the dough for that piece of Amercana called the Harley, and even if I did I feel I'd probably still be riding something else. All that extra scratch would just carry my yamaha that much further down the road. ;)

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Harley v. Metric, 1911 v. Glock, etc..
It's a classic comparison of American icons with modern, improved versions. Terms like tradition, loyalty, resale value, durability all get used to define and contrast them

Ultimately, it's all good. I like my Harley- smooth, powerful (for a 750lb land barge) and comfortable, but not so fast that I'd be likely to ride it like an idiot on the street. I like my 1911's- Accurate as hell, reliable and comfortable to shoot.

But I like my Glocks OK and have to continuously suppress the urge to buy a Ducati Super Motard. I'd clean out a bar ditch within a month.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree. I've ridden several Harley's. Ultra Classic, Road King, etc. They're quite the bike. I can understand GC's trepidation with the old police model's, definitely not what I'd consider a proper feel for today's Harley line.

That being said, I still own and ride a Yamaha. Hater's gonna hate, but that big ol' metric air-cooled carbureted v-twin just has a bit of an attraction for me. I doubt I'll ever have the dough for that piece of Amercana called the Harley, and even if I did I feel I'd probably still be riding something else. All that extra scratch would just carry my yamaha that much further down the road. ;)

Harley's haven't had carburetor's in a few years, one of my major issues with HD was having a carb. In 07 all the twin cam engines got fuel injection in 2008 the sportster also got fuel injected.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
harleys are great bikes; if one needs to bad mouth them so that they can feel better about not being able to afford one, thats fine. Free country and all.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Harleys are much smoother if you have the proper type of "ear muffs" while you are riding. I have no firsthand knowledge but I am sure the silicone filled "muffs" are the high tech version. Though not too high tech to not belong on a Harley.

I once read that your motorcycle and your woman should be the same type. If you want one that has big jugs and looks good dressed in black leather at the bar you should have a Harley.

If you want one that is low maintenance is a smooth ride and will last a lifetime and is a good ride any where and even in bad weather, get a Honda Gold Wing. Gold Wings tend to be a little heavier.

If you want one that is a real thrill to ride and goes really fast at a high rpm, get any one of the Japanese crotch rockets.

Valid comparison.

Latest posts

Top Bottom