So TSA found a loaded mag in my carry on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always fly with a pistol. Thought I complied with all TSA rules. On a return flight from SC, had the TSA officer tell give me grief because I had ten rounds of .38 spec hydroshocks in a small plastic bag inside my metal travel gun safe. He said I had to return it to my vehicle. I told him my vehicle was in Tulsa. He told me I couldn't throw it away. I asked him what I should do. He just gave me a blank vacuous look. I asked him to call over a policeman. The cop gladly took them off my hands.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm, I've walked through all checkpoints with a loaded gun, extra mags, knives and all of that good stuff, flew with it on my hip AND got to board first. Must be the fohawk...

On a serious note, that sucks. I don't like dealing with TSA or airport police....

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister borrowed one of my bags as a carry on once, and I had unknowingly left one of my knives in it. She got kinda freaked out when they found it, thinking they would put her in holding or something. They didn't do anything but confiscate it. C'est la vie.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't either. Wow... makes me think about paying a whole lot closer attention.

Of course... I try not to fly, if there is any possible way to avoid it!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course... I try not to fly, if there is any possible way to avoid it!

It's a humongous pain in the keister at times to deal with all the security and such, but I wouldn't pass up a chance to fly, especially if I get a window seat. Last time, I had a connecting flight at O'Hare, and the inbound plane made a big circle right over downtown Chicago. I got to look straight down at the Sears Tower as the plane banked, and at a tiny baseball field that's literally a stone's throw away, nestled amongst all the tall buildings. Wrigley Field was also visible from my window as we made the final approach, with a ball game going on. Some things are just worth it.

On a tangent to the OP, what's the advantage of a single-strap backpack like the Maxpedition Gearslinger? It's more weight on the one strap, than spread out over the two straps of a regular backpack. Just curious.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry you got "busted" I really feel bad for those who like in this situation you just forget or overlook it. I know the couple times I've flown I completely emptied everything and looked for any casings and such. I was always worried that being in the garage with my cleaners, powder and other residue that it would set off alarms also.

Superdave if you were at Will Rogers and had a magazine and ammo taken from you then you should have handed it over to an officer, TSA does not take any ammo there whatsoever now an empty magazine I'm not really sure.

I always fly with a pistol. Thought I complied with all TSA rules. On a return flight from SC, had the TSA officer tell give me grief because I had ten rounds of .38 spec hydroshocks in a small plastic bag inside my metal travel gun safe. He said I had to return it to my vehicle. I told him my vehicle was in Tulsa. He told me I couldn't throw it away. I asked him what I should do. He just gave me a blank vacuous look. I asked him to call over a policeman. The cop gladly took them off my hands.

This is from TSA.gov.

Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

There's some splitting of hairs here. But generally a magazine is considered "other packaging" unless you fly American Airlines they are a bit more strict here and you have to have it basically in some kind box. This may be different at other airports though too. But I would think a baggie would cause problems.

I'm actually surprised this has happened to so many posters. Not a criticism at all, just didn't think it happened that often.

You would be surprised at how common it is for ammo to be found.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I refuse to have travel luggage and hunting luggage, so my bags are multipurpose. One of my day packs failed the gun powder residue patch test one time. This was early on in the tightened security, so they pulled me to the side and started isolating me. I tried explaining to them that this was one of my hunting packs and probably had gunpowder residue from shooting. Then I managed to show them some dried blood and rabbit fur. Even then, they where all Barney Fife on me...

Latest posts

Top Bottom