Springfield M1A discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my bucket list guns is a M1A. Came across one and got the itch to own it. Now I'm trying to talk myself out of it:
Ammo is expensive and also in short supply right now. I do reload though.
Rarely shoot beyond 300 yards and eyes are not getting younger. Scoping would be costly also.
Mags in short supply right now.
The scout model might be more versatile option.

I've read a lot of posts and reviews that I googled but would like to hear more opinions.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like mine. Ammo will come down some. Magazines will start showing up eventually. I bought mine with a scout scope on it. I bought a receiver scope mount to use someday.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts and reviews that I googled but would like to hear more opinions.

If it's on your list, then buy it. You only get one ride at this thing called life. Buy it, shoot it and if you don't like it some time in the future, get most of your (if not all and then some) money back out of it. If you love it, pick out who gets it when your body is feeding the worms.

I have never shot one, but have a small itch for one. With the way things are, picking up anything that you want and someone has for a decent price, scoop it up!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just look at the prices of the older Made in USA models... It'll change your mind.

I'd go with the Ruger GSScout... Merica!

No really, I'd go with the Ruger in all seriousness

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I can always shoot my M-14 /M1A as slow as the bolt action Ruger, but it will be a cold day when a bolt action can shoot as fast or as accurately as my M-14/M1A

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were in the market for another M-14, I wouldn't be looking at the newer Springfields. They don't even offer chrome lined barrels as an option, and they use commercial parts that are sometimes not in spec. I'd look for an older rifle with GI parts, or go with a rifle from one of the mil spec manufacturers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom