Springfield M1A discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you go with the Ruger?

It's a great gun with a great price. 100% American made.

Though, if you're set on an M1A and you've got the pockets... LRB Arms is the only 100% American M1A maker out there. Smith, Fulton, and Springfield all offer 100% American Assembled rifles, with foreign made parts.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold mine to a member on here and then got a sig 551. Probably more exotic and mags are a bit more expensive but the trade off is 5.56 is easier to find then 7.62. Well, until december it was.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still weighing the options. The older models available online and the custom builds are probably out of my price range at this time. I can get the new standard model for about $1400. Did find Loaded for just above $1500 but they were sold out. Don't see many used for sale except big gun shows and once in a while on here.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up one about a year ago and still haven't had the chance to shoot it.But that's a whole other story.
I did pick up the reciever scope mount from Springfield, but opted later for the scope mount.
I put a Hi-Lux Leatherman scope on it. I have high hopes on being able to try it out soon.

I scored some of the Argentine surplus for mine. Around .60 a round. Don't know if you can still find it.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
When I got my M1A Standard, I immediately went out and bought a Sadlak scope mount and a Leupold scope. I did this because of my declining eyesight. I hated this rig setup. Several months later I had cateract surgery and lens implants which returned my eyesight to that of my youth. I immediately removed the scope and fell in love with the rifle again. The iron sights are awesome.
If you need optics then I'd suggest you get a Scout model and add an Aimpoint T1/H1, EOTech or Trijicon.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I got my M1A Standard, I immediately went out and bought a Sadlak scope mount and a Leupold scope. I did this because of my declining eyesight. I hated this rig setup. Several months later I had cateract surgery and lens implants which returned my eyesight to that of my youth. I immediately removed the scope and fell in love with the rifle again. The iron sights are awesome.
If you need optics then I'd suggest you get a Scout model and add an Aimpoint T1/H1, EOTech or Trijicon.

Not sure I need optics. Don't have a lot of experience with them other than my coyote gun and hope I don't need them. But, my eyes certainly are what they used to be. What is slowing me down the most right now is ammo. Only ammo I've found is CMP at nearly $1 a round.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The $1400 standard would be fine if you can't afford one of the more mil spec ones. That is actually pretty much a pre-crisis price, so not a bad deal. I prefer chrome lined barrels, but the M1 did alright as a combat rifle without them (they just had to replace the barrels more often)! I had a standard just like that for a while... it was my first M1A. It worked just fine.

I would actually prefer the standard to the loaded, if it is something you might carry out in the field. The Standard is noticeably lighter, and is more than accurate enough for a battle rifle.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upside to the Springfield is the outstanding warranty you will receive. Even with a used one.

Having own a LRB, If I blindfolded you, and gave you a Springfield, you could not tell the difference shooting. Mine was and all H&R parts with a Criterion chrome line barrel. Shot well but not any better than the three Springfields I have owned.

Presently own just one and it is totally rack grade Springfield of 1991 manufactuer. It is USGI (TRW and SAK) as you can get one and does shoot well. Springfield guns with USGI parts are luck of the draw. Some will be new parts and others will be used parts that are within spec. As parts dried up over the years, the more used parts were used on the new rifles.

For years Bruce Machine in Taiwan made parts for Springfield and I believe they still do. They have a lot of experience making parts for the M1a.

The Taiwanese military used a version of the M14 rifle that they built for years on hand me down H&R equipment that was provided by the ole USA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom