Springfield M1A discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting comments ... I much prefer shooting the M1A to the LR-308 for accuracy - to me the M1A is more stable. Don't get me wrong - I like the LR too and it's definitely fun to shoot, but at the end of the day it's just another flavor of AR with a hotter round. One of the things I do prefer about the LR is its shorter length, which is why I'm thinking the tanker with its 18-1/2" barrel might be the best of both worlds for me.

I'm curious about the case separation though - wondering what kind of ammo it was and what that particular rifle might have been headspaced for. I've read the same thing about three reloads, specifically on the older NATO surplus brass as some was apparently thinner cased since it was designed for lower pressures(?) Heck, I don't know ... I just shoot the things.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From everything I have read, the AR10 style rifles are more accurate than the M14/M1A rifles, but no where near as reliable. This is from running through courses. Not bench shooting. Again, this is from others experiences and not my own.

My experience doesn't lead me to agree with the reliability standpoint. I have had 2 DPMS 308's in the last couple of years. I actually traded my target barreled one for the M1A a year or so ago. My other one is on it's third barrel. Admittedly, I only shot a couple hundred through the second one, but the first one reached 8000 before being changed. At that point, accuracy was still acceptable, but I wanted to try a shorter barrel. That is a statistical sample of one, but it hasn't let me down. I think the PMags have aided in the reliability of the system. I had major troubles at the beginning through one DPMS mag that wouldn't feed properly. After I figured it was the mag, I never had any more issues. I never have any problems with the M1A either.

Mounting a scope on top of the M1A is challenging at best and I don't like how the magazines load in the rifle. Both systems offer acceptable accuracy to me so that is a wash.

The internet is full of rifle bashing. In my opinion, both are quality systems, I just think the edge goes to the DPMS rifles.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have experience with either, but you are definitely right on the rifle bashing. On both ends. First hand experience is always the best. I bought a CASM scope mount, which I think is the best working optic mount out right now. Or at least from what I've seen. Time will tell. It would be awesome to get together one day and shoot/test both rifle systems.

My experience doesn't lead me to agree with the reliability standpoint. I have had 2 DPMS 308's in the last couple of years. I actually traded my target barreled one for the M1A a year or so ago. My other one is on it's third barrel. Admittedly, I only shot a couple hundred through the second one, but the first one reached 8000 before being changed. At that point, accuracy was still acceptable, but I wanted to try a shorter barrel. That is a statistical sample of one, but it hasn't let me down. I think the PMags have aided in the reliability of the system. I had major troubles at the beginning through one DPMS mag that wouldn't feed properly. After I figured it was the mag, I never had any more issues. I never have any problems with the M1A either.

Mounting a scope on top of the M1A is challenging at best and I don't like how the magazines load in the rifle. Both systems offer acceptable accuracy to me so that is a wash.

The internet is full of rifle bashing. In my opinion, both are quality systems, I just think the edge goes to the DPMS rifles.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mounting a scope on top of the M1A is challenging at best...
There's certainly truth to that, it can be a bit of voodoo to find the "right" mount for any particular receiver/scope combo.

The one I had a number of years ago had a three point steel mount of unknown manufacture that once adjusted and torqued solidly down held good. Wasn't a rail, just a couple of Weaver style slots on each end. Other than that it looked a bit like a current steel Gen4 from Springfield or possibly a Sadlak, if memory serves.

I haven't scoped the one I have now ... range limit has been 100 yards, will be going up to 300 soon but suspect the irons will still be accurate enough - in other words, more accurate than the shooter - at that distance.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have experience with either, but you are definitely right on the rifle bashing. On both ends. First hand experience is always the best. I bought a CASM scope mount, which I think is the best working optic mount out right now. Or at least from what I've seen. Time will tell. It would be awesome to get together one day and shoot/test both rifle systems.

That would be fun. USSA is 10 minutes from the house so if you are in this neck of the woods, I think it would be a good experience to test them both side by side. Especially if we were running the same optics. The only variable then would be the weapon!

Latest posts

Top Bottom