Springfield M1A discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still kick myself for selling my M1A NM. walnut stock with stainless barrel. I'll buy one again when the kids are grown.

If you are looking to scope an M1A look at the Sadlak mount. It gets top reviews just about anywhere you look.

If you want a shooter just find a standard no frills model. I wanted a Loaded or NM for the trigger group that was in them.

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a M1A loaded with a synthetic stock four days before the madness began. Fortunately I stocked up on mags and ammo before the prices got out of hand. The gun is absolutely amazing, and the thought of selling my AR and replacing it with a SOCOM 16 keeps going through my head. The additional power of the 308 is worth having.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a M1A loaded with a synthetic stock four days before the madness began. Fortunately I stocked up on mags and ammo before the prices got out of hand. The gun is absolutely amazing, and the thought of selling my AR and replacing it with a SOCOM 16 keeps going through my head. The additional power of the 308 is worth having.

SOCOM 16 is nice package but the muzzle blast is horrendous!

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and advice so far. I'm determined that I will absolutely have a M1A. But, after spending some cash on new optics I've decided to hold off. (At least until I come across the next one with the cash in my pocket.) My next rifle purchase is probably going to be a CMP Garand.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Approx 3 years ago I bought a SA M1A Scout with composite stock and set it up with the scope forward. It is a standard model but will shoot a group with the holes touching at 100 yds. Since then I have removed the forward position of the scope and added a receiver mount and a firefly reticle Bushnell scope. My son has worked up some handloads in hopes of tightening the group so that the holes overlap at 100yds. I thoroughly enjoy this gun, although a bit heavy, and will use it as my pig gun. Every pig shot with a 125 gr. BT in my bolt gun has been DRT. I have settled on using A-Max bullets in 165 or 168 grains for accuracy. This should turn into an exceptional rifle since I always strive for shooting the tightest groups possible.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up my Socom 16 for $700 never fired previously, still had the cosmoline in it. It is on my never sell list. I love it. Very accurate and solid construction.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For years Bruce Machine in Taiwan made parts for Springfield and I believe they still do. They have a lot of experience making parts for the M1a.

The Taiwanese military used a version of the M14 rifle that they built for years on hand me down H&R equipment that was provided by the ole USA.

The type 57 I think

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my bucket list guns is a M1A. Came across one and got the itch to own it. Now I'm trying to talk myself out of it:
Ammo is expensive and also in short supply right now. I do reload though. Who cares? it's one of your bucketlist guns! :P
Rarely shoot beyond 300 yards and eyes are not getting younger. Scoping would be costly also. Who cares!? It's one of your bucketlist guns! :P
Mags in short supply right now. I've actually found M14 mags quite available in spurts. Good ones, too. CMI. and who cares? It's your bucket list gun. :P
The scout model might be more versatile option. is the Scout or the M14 style your bucketlist gun? 'cause get whichever one is on your list!

I've read a lot of posts and reviews that I googled but would like to hear more opinions.

Me in bold Italics. Seriously, life is short. Just buy it if it's one you've always wanted.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up my Socom 16 for $700 never fired previously, still had the cosmoline in it. It is on my never sell list. I love it. Very accurate and solid construction.
Love my SOCOM 16! Accurate, reliable, and loud! But while the poodle-shooting cartridges cause bowling pins to flinch just a bit when they're hit, 7.62X51mm MOVES them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom