Stuck shell I think it may be ammo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had this same issue with at least three brand new 870s in the past few years. All were solved by careful sanding and polishing. The new 870 receivers and barrels are a disgrace to what has always been one of the best shotgun platforms out there! As you've seen, a little elbow grease and time fixes it right up but you should never have to do that on a new gun. There's no way Remington could not know this is an issue so I take it as a big F-You to the customer. The new receivers look like they were tooled by rubbing them on concrete then spray painted dark grey. Shame on you Remington!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had this happen to me a while back when I bought my 870. Not only did I have to clean up the issues that should have been resolved in the factory, but my fore grip was rubbing on the barrel.

My understanding of the issue is that the burrs/grooves in the chamber are leftover from the machining process, and that the 870's single claw extractor presses the edge of the shell opposite of the claw into the rough area, causing the failure. Even with clearing up the issue I still seem to have very rare issues with the shotgun.

Breaks my heart, but it has caused me to turn away from Remington's newer and recent offerings. I don't believe in paying money for a well respected brand that can no longer deliver a product consistent with thier legacy. What's next? A 700 with a curved barrel?

Latest posts

Top Bottom