Taking A Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My wife and I will be in New York City for 3 days on business but are going to stay for an additional 5 days to do some sight seeing. We will be there in July and we have never been to New York City.
We are planning to see two Broadway shows and the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.

So any other for sure things to see and do?

Thanks in advance

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My wife and I will be in New York City for 3 days on business but are going to stay for an additional 5 days to do some sight seeing. We will be there in July and we have never been to New York City.
We are planning to see two Broadway shows and the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.

So any other for sure things to see and do?

Thanks in advance

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take lots of money. They have some outstanding Italian and Chinese restaurants. It has been several years since I was last there, but some areas around the theaters were not safe after dark. Go to the top of the Empire State Building and enjoy the view while hanging onto your hat. Your wife will enjoy the shopping. Have fun.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO if you want a good slice of Pizza it can be had closer to home. There is an italian place here in Guthrie as well as one in Lawton (or used to be the last time I was down that way) that had the exact same taste as the "authentic" New York style stuff. I was completely let down. Not to mention that it cost more there for the same flavor.

When I was out there I rode the subway a few times and walked around. Didn't have a lot of extra to do much more. We stayed in Jamaica Queens https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...hUKEwjw0rKbwsbhAhVRTt8KHaplDWwQ8gEwGXoECAsQCA Drove out to long beach at one point and did some knocking around in lower central park as well as hit up times square/ rockefeller plaza. To be 100% honest it wasn't all that great to me. The buildings are big and all but they want money for most everything. And I am not into watching the shows enough to make it worth while to spend money and watch someone prance around in a costume to music, too much free stuff on youtube or better yet just give the neighbor kids some sugar and costumes and watch them.

I didn't even want to try and deal with getting my wife onto a boat for ellis island or anything like that. The only way I was able to take her around was to rent a wheelchair at that point. The memorial was under construction and it was pretty close to when they were having the yearly remembrance. It is a place where a lot of lives were lost but remember it is also a tourist trap, getting near it was a pain when I was out there and being around it was a guaranteed nightmare. If you want to go plan to do it during the time where most of the people are asleep. Times square is ok while most people are working.

If you are planning to be there on a weekend all I can say is DON'T. Just stay in the room and save yourself the heartache. Same goes for rush hour, wait till it is over or plan to take an hour to get a few blocks.

And prepare to be surrounded by a bunch of yuppies and tourists all day long in most area's. And you probably don't want to drive around there. The only thing they seem to be able to do well out there with a car is park them very close together.

I was there with my wife about a month and honestly have no desire to go back for any reason.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
For a one time first time trip, Times Square, Central Park, Top of The Rock, walk on the Highline, 911 Memorial, Coney Island, Empire State Building, Statute of Liberty. Be prepared for lots of walking and crowds everywhere you go. Forget about driving, take Uber, Lyft, or subway. Enjoy. It’s a bunch of liberals up there but still part of America for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M wife and I really like the city and go every couple of years. Don't put too much stock into the tourist traps just go to places like times square so you can say you did and get out spending as little money as possible.

Every time we are there it seems to rain at least once. we bring a big but super compact umbrella and take it everywhere in a backpack.

Driving in the city can be a little crazy but not horrible like you'd think Parking is the problem. It is HORRIBLY EXPENSIVE. If your going to drive into the city you might plan on putting your vehicle out of the city in some sort of long term parking place.

Cabs can get expensive (depending on where a person flys into it might still be the cheapest option into the city). We get the week long pass and take the subway. If you want to do the same thing you need to make sure you understand how they work (uptown, downtown,Express,local....) and get a subway map (there are free phone apps like the MTA one). Its easy to get turned around down there and get on a train going the wrong way. I have a small keychain compass that I look at and make sure im headed the right way (the compass and GPS in your phone wont work down there)

cheap tip. ... Take a subway to Grand Central. make sure you look all over the main terminal (even the ceiling). Go to the dining hall, in the center there is (at least up until a year ago) a fairly large bakery with little one person sized cakes that are pretty good.

Ah yea. Refills are not free and the cups are small. I got into it with a waiter once who snipped at me when I asked for a refill. Told him if the cup is empty he needed to just fill it up. The sodas cost me more then the meal for the two of us

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't' been there since the 70's. I got such a bad feeling with all the mass of humanity and everybody wanting your money that I've never had a desire to go back. It was dirty, nasty and smelled. Of course as a country boy, that was expected.
I hear it's cleaned up now especially times square which was the center of debauchery back then.
I actually have zero desire to visit any big city no matter where. Even OKC or Tulsa. Small town USA is where I'm at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom