Teachers strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off I think the "every child" thing is part of the problem. Next the Vox article made it clear that U.S. teachers make more than in countries that outperform us and that teachers are paid lower than other professions in those other countries also. Narrowly focused on reading, writing, and arithmetic?, things that matter in education, the things needed to go on to higher studies where they can use their creativity(or be proficient in a job)? Maybe there's something else that needs considered here. I notice you're from Lincoln Co., I have friends with kids in Stroud schools, I've seen some of their work and results. Their parents are very happy with the education and their kid's learning, they help when needed because it's not handed to the kids. Their dad went to Tulsa schools and has noted how different it is than there, more straight forward teaching without some of the social engineering extras we seem to hear about in Tulsa, OKC, or large urban schools elsewhere. When the state schools get their report cards where are the majority of failing schools located? Is the mentality of teaching different in rural v. urban schools?
U.S. teachers make more than in countries that outperform us
Out perform us based on what assessment? The international exams do not reflect what news stories claim because very different pools of students are being tested. And, again the teachers teaching those students do not have accept EVERY child into their education environment.

I've known many teachers and graduates of Stroud schools. From what I can see from the outside, it is an outstanding school system.

Is the mentality of teaching different in rural v. urban schools?
Yes, the school environment and the environment that students go home to both have a very critical impact on a students education. One reason I often disagree with many of the school reform proposals and top down curriculum and classroom management is education cannot be implemented effectively with cookie cutter approaches. What works in OKC may not work at all in Stroud and vise versa. The evidence has always indicated that students from "small" schools usually out perform students from large urban schools. That is why many of the large districts have incorporated the "School within a School" approach that divides the large schools into smaller somewhat independent settings.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our entire society has lost its perspective on the purpose of education. This distorted view has infiltrated the Academic System itself.

Somewhere since the mid 1960s people began to believe that High School and College Diplomas were the object of education. This transcended into the beliefs that once these objectives were obtained, those who had them deserved good jobs and positions of leadership.

A corollary to this was the idea that providing students graduating from Impoverished, High Population, Urban Environments as well as hordes of other young people from various troubled environments form all over our Country the ability to obtain Diplomas, it would help them to move up with useful employment and future success.

‘No Child Left Behind’ formalized this concept into Law.

Educators have been conflicted for years over what the education process should provide. The historical intent was to bring forth (educe) from students the intellectual ability to reason and to provide sound rationale for reasoning based on reliable knowledge and principles. The only method that can determine effective progress and results of this process is TESTING.

Critics of Testing argue that there is much more to education than Testing can determine: communication, socialization, participation, discipline, and following directions etc. NO! Those are conditions required for an Academic Atmosphere.

“My child doesn’t do well on tests, but he is a genius!” “Sorry Mam, your child is a borderline idiot that would fall in the lower tenth percentile if tested against a troop of monkeys.”

Homework, class participation, attendance, and all the other rationales for giving credit for other than retained knowledge and the ability to reason is useless and a major cause for our failing Academic Programs.

Note, our Military and our Federal Civil Service System do not accept Diplomas as evidence that applicants are qualified, THEY TEST!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You wanna read something pathetically ignorant? Take a look at what this asshat has to say in this article!

https://buff.ly/2FO09nc

Compares teacher walkout to extortion!
I heard that on the Chad Alexander show... What a dipstick.
Did you hear the students remind/threaten him they will be 18 before November elections. BWAHAHA!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's interesting that you mention Stroud schools @Billybob.

I heard a state legislator Sunday on Flashpoint from there, talking about how great Stroud schools were because of all the oil money in their district.

Latest posts

Top Bottom