Thanks to the mods for giving us watch dorks a safe space....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would the Daytona still be in production today if not for Paul Newman? Or would it not be as sought after? What if Janice, Jimmy and Morrison had all been wearing a Daytona when they died rather than a white Bic in their left pocket at age 29? Honestly, disregard that last line of total BS, but I really don’t think the Daytona would’ve survived if not for Newman.
The Daytona would definitely be around even if Newman didn’t wear one, in my opinion. Even without him, it is a staple.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would the Daytona still be in production today if not for Paul Newman? Or would it not be as sought after? What if Janice, Jimmy and Morrison had all been wearing a Daytona when they died rather than a white Bic in their left pocket at age 29? Honestly, disregard that last line of total BS, but I really don’t think the Daytona would’ve survived if not for Newman.
The Daytona would have still been in production without a doubt. As for the white bic lighter would you pay $1,000 or even $100 for it just because a rock star owned it? I can go to a 7/11 now and pick up a white Bic Lighter. Rolexes have provenance and serial numbers, like firearms lending to value. Lighters and Apple Watches, not so much.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Daytona would have still been in production without a doubt. As for the white bic lighter would you pay $1,000 or even $100 for it just because a rock star owned it? I can go to a 7/11 now and pick up a white Bic Lighter. Rolexes have provenance and serial numbers, like firearms lending to value. Lighters and Apple Watches, not so much.
The lighters were me being silly but ask a 7-11 clerk and they’ll tell you people don’t want white for superstition. They ask me and I request the one that kills me slower. I met a not so lovely Karen in Okemah a few weeks ago saying that…

I disagree on the Daytona still being relevant if not for Newman. Remember, it was to be the Apollo watch (hence Cosmograph rather than Chronograph) but lost to the Speedmaster. Look at some early 60’s and 70’s production numbers-I don’t think it was a big seller

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lighters were me being silly but ask a 7-11 clerk and they’ll tell you people don’t want white for superstition. They ask me and I request the one that kills me slower. I met a not so lovely Karen in Okemah a few weeks ago saying that…

I disagree on the Daytona still being relevant if not for Newman. Remember, it was to be the Apollo watch (hence Cosmograph rather than Chronograph) but lost to the Speedmaster. Look at some early 60’s and 70’s production numbers-I don’t think it was a big seller

1960 to 1970 was a weird time, the Rolex Daytona and Omega Speedmaster as well as Heuer and Longines had a strong foothold in auto racing with Chronographs. A lot of competition, and the Speedmaster became synonymous with precision chronograph watches because of the Apollo space program.

The Quartz Crisis crushed the Swiss mechanical market for about a decade. Cheap digital at highly inflated prices crushed the Swiss Market up until the mid to late 80's, then the yuppies stepped in. Rolex up until then was regarded as an expensive tool watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_crisis
The top 20 Swiss manufacturers have experienced 20% plus growth over the past decade, especially in the mechanical watch sector. This is in spite of the popularity of the Apple Watch and its android competition.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

So, I drive an ass load of miles every day. Like ~75k per year so I listen to podcasts regularly. I subscribe to about a dozen shows. Are there any watch shows anyone listens to?
My son listens to a couple podcasts on waterfowl hunting and one on whiskey/bourbon. He said both do a little piece on watches occasionally. I’ll ask him which ones

Latest posts

Top Bottom