The good old days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to the local A&W drive-in for a real root-beer float in a tall frosty glass mug. It was the standard brought right to your car window. Drink up and leave the mugs on the red tray and drive away. Now you have to go inside and pay $5 extra dollars for the drink served in the frosty mug. But at least you get to keep the mug.
Without having to steal it like the good ole days.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pre-Walmart. When small towns still had downtown stores, like TG&Y, and local hardware stores.
As a young feller, my first "town job" was working in Wilson's Hardware and Feed, just off main street near the TG&Y and Franklin's 5 & 10 cent stores. I still remember wooden barrels with milsurp rifles stacked in them, most expensive were the Garands @ $79.99 and we carried dynamite and caps behind the counter in wood crates.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must be a youngster . I remember when Otasco had 22 shells for 55 cents a box and Later at Kmart 7.70 a brick
I paid 51 cents a box when Gibsons closed out for Winchester white box. Gave some to my dad who didn't really like guns but had a .22 when they went camping. I got that pistol and 1.5 boxes back when he passed away. Still have the ammo.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a young feller, my first "town job" was working in Wilson's Hardware and Feed, just off main street near the TG&Y and Franklin's 5 & 10 cent stores. I still remember wooden barrels with milsurp rifles stacked in them, most expensive were the Garands @ $79.99 and we carried dynamite and caps behind the counter in wood crates.
Our hardware store in Ponca had dynamite in wood boxes stored openly in the back room. Not locked down. Don't know where they kept the caps though. I was in high school then. Walking past that box didn't frighten me a bit. My uncle (ex EOD in WWII ) used it to clear stumps while clearing the land he bought to put into farming. I was around it all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom